We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reviews, "points" and the algorithm

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
1 post
313 reviews
Reviews, "points" and the algorithm

I see there are several posts trying to figure out TA's algorithm, most from reviewed parties but some from reviewers.

I also see several posts from reviewers asking about the benefits of posts and of taking the time to do reviews.

Can I link the two and ask an obvious question:

Does the number of reviews done by a reviewer have any weight in TA's rating algorithm?

A simple "Yes" or "No" from someone with first-hand knowledge of the algorithm is sufficient.

8 replies to this topic
Essex
Level Contributor
31,840 posts
69 reviews
1. Re: Reviews, "points" and the algorithm

You won't get a yes/no answer.

None of us members know

And TA Staff are sworn to secrecy I suspect.

So you are out of luck.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
74,095 posts
478 reviews
2. Re: Reviews, "points" and the algorithm

I suspect that relatively few staff know the innermost secrets of the mysterious algortihm.

Essex
Level Contributor
31,840 posts
69 reviews
3. Re: Reviews, "points" and the algorithm

If you are looking for a reason to add 'self importance' to your review count, however...

I suspect the answer is "No".

And your count pales into insignificance, compared to some, who have counts in the 1,000's

But, you know, that should not matter much.

Writing helpful reviews, regardles of number, is what helps others, and that is why we are here.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
53,391 posts
1,800 reviews
4. Re: Reviews, "points" and the algorithm

I have heard no reference to a Reviewer’s “status” having any weight, regarding the Rating/Ranking algorithm - but, as it is “secret,” who knows for sure?

Best of luck,

Hunt

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,436 posts
830 reviews
5. Re: Reviews, "points" and the algorithm

There are enough reviewers, who have built up their review count with totally meaningless and stupid reviews.

I, certainly, hope they are not influencing the ranking and rating algorithm. God forbid.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
53,391 posts
1,800 reviews
6. Re: Reviews, "points" and the algorithm

NYU,

Very good point, and one which I had not even considered.

Hunt

So Cal
Level Contributor
12,087 posts
75 reviews
7. Re: Reviews, "points" and the algorithm

I'd be surprised if that carried a lot of weight, but who knows? Only TA, and they're not telling.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
74,095 posts
478 reviews
8. Re: Reviews, "points" and the algorithm

Nothing would surprise me about TA any more. The mere possibility that they might actually do, or even already be doing this, is just another reason for me to toally ignore TA's rankings. Not that I need any more reasons.

Reply to: Reviews, "points" and the algorithm
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted