We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

owner will not provide address of a vaca rental until I pay

ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
63 reviews
owner will not provide address of a vaca rental until I pay

The owner of a vacation rental refuses to give me the street address until I book. This seems unfair, as I would like to know more about the neighborhood. I can send a friend to look at it for me.

14 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
68,008 posts
66 reviews
1. Re: owner will not provide address of a vaca rental until I pay

They are not permitted to under the T&Cs of the Vacation Rentals platform. And they don't release your name and contact information until you have paid either. Safety for both parties.

Have a look at this page, which tells you what Trip Advisor Vacation Rentals Division requires:

https://rentalsupport.tripadvisor.com/Enquir…

United States
Level Contributor
10,494 posts
273 reviews
2. Re: owner will not provide address of a vaca rental until I pay

that is pretty normal...but they should be able to give you the general neighborhood....however people have been very surprised when they find out they are above a nightclub or some such thing. Ask lots of questions.

Essex
Level Contributor
31,841 posts
69 reviews
3. Re: owner will not provide address of a vaca rental until I pay

Find a better place to book your Holiday than on TA.......

West Grey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
83,980 posts
103 reviews
4. Re: owner will not provide address of a vaca rental until I pay

Agreed !!

United States
Level Contributor
10,494 posts
273 reviews
5. Re: owner will not provide address of a vaca rental until I pay

And I agree much better options for booking rentals.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
53,306 posts
1,798 reviews
6. Re: owner will not provide address of a vaca rental until I pay

I see this issue with many “holiday rental” portals, and mostly in the Destination Forums. It is fairly common practice, and amounts to one buying a “pig in a poke.”

I feel bad for those folk, as some properties are far from the stated neighborhood.

Just another reason that I would not use such services.

Best of luck,

Hunt

So Cal
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
75 reviews
7. Re: owner will not provide address of a vaca rental until I pay

What? Why on earth would anyone book any sort of holiday lodgings without knowing *exactly* where it is? Outside of Priceline and the like...do people actually do this? Why?

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
73,907 posts
476 reviews
8. Re: owner will not provide address of a vaca rental until I pay

There's no way that I would ever book anything without knowing exactly where it was. I value knowing that any accommodation is going to be suitable for us, and location is usually a massive factor.

Happily I rarely book holiday rentals, and I have no intention of ever booking anything at all through TA and it's sister companies.

Edited: 10 May 2018, 06:05
Level Contributor
27 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
9. Re: owner will not provide address of a vaca rental until I pay

Hi!

Thank you for taking the time to write your post!

For more information about how to book a rental on TripAdvisor Rentals, click this link: https:/…115013199287-How-do-I-book-a-rental-

The map location will either be pinpointed or give you the area that the rental is located in. Our homeowners are unable to provide the full address until the full payment will be confirmed. Some also choose the area only for the map location, for security reasons.

I hope this helps, if you need any help, you can reach out to us: https:/…Customer_Support_Form

We do also have a dedicated Reservations team that can help you to contact homeowners, they can discuss any questions that you may have for them, please call us at +1-844-242-3777.

Many thanks,

Adrian -

TripAdvisor Rentals Support

So Cal
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
75 reviews
10. Re: owner will not provide address of a vaca rental until I pay

Adrian, perhaps you could explain exactly WHY your homeowners are prohibited from giving prospective customers the address before they plonk over their hard-earned money and commit their valuable vacation time.

Reply to: owner will not provide address of a vaca rental until I pay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted