We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have character countdown for "report a problem with review"

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,577 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Have character countdown for "report a problem with review"

When a TA member uses the "report a problem with review" link beneath a review, they can fill out a text box to explain why the review violates guidelines, is posted to the wrong location, or is suspicious. However, responses must be 200 characters or less. Often, you don't know whether you've exceeded 200 characters until you hit the Submt button and get an error message telling you that the explanation is too long.

Similar fields elsewhere on TA display a character countdown, so that you can see how many characters remain for your response. This feature should be added to the "report a problem with review" text box and the "report a problem with management response" text box, which also has a 200 character limit.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have character countdown for "report a problem with review"

Once again, another good idea from Country Wife; you're on a creative roll here. :-)

L4

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,990 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have character countdown for "report a problem with review"

Good point

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,577 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have character countdown for "report a problem with review"

I'm sure all of these suggestions I'm posting have been made elsewhere on this forum in the past -- I'm just too lazy to track down the older postings. ;-)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,956 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Have character countdown for "report a problem with review"

That's ok country_Wife, good job, keep it up!!

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,099 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Have character countdown for "report a problem with review"

Great idea, CW !

Parksville, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Have character countdown for "report a problem with review"

I just checked out Argentina

When you have a percentage value of likes - they shouldn't add up to more than 100% or you wonder about the content and who entered the info. It adds a margin of doubt.

Alyce Carney

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,779 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Have character countdown for "report a problem with review"

Hi AlyceCarney and welcome to the forum ~

I think your post has to do with something completely different than this thread about reporting a problem with a review. It's possible you have simply found a convenient reply box and started typing.

However, if you would like to post your comment on this forum, please look below the reply box for the blue print "Ask a question," compose an effective title and type your comment in the text box. That way your comment will get the visibility it deserves.

re: CW's OP: The character countdown would be a huge help when typing a report up.

Edited: 08 February 2013, 17:28
Houston
Level Contributor
355 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Have character countdown for "report a problem with review"

The character count countdown is a great idea. It seems that all are in agreement here!

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Have character countdown for "report a problem with review"

I agree, but like most of the great ideas they will probably take years to implement or, wait for it... " oh, we had that on our list of implementations, thanks for giving us the nudge, we'll bring it to the top of the pile" lol

CB

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Have character countdown for "report a problem with review"

I know we've discussed it before and indeed it remains something that would be an *excellent* and *very useful improvement* to TA!

TA would be BETTER :-)

As opposed to some alleged "improvements" that appear . . .