We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Badges are fun - and can be even more so

Denmark
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Badges are fun - and can be even more so

I love badges. I like the TA ones, but I wish there were more. Rather than gold star / volume based contributions, I think there should be a whole range of badges for people to get. And what could make it even more fun would be to not even know how to unlock them. (yes i know Foursquare does this particularly well.)

Suggestions:

Helpful reviewer badge: 10+ helpful votes

Frequent flyer badge: self explanatory

The high life badge: 10+ reviews of $$$ locations

Budget traveller: same thing, reversed

Angry / Happy reviewer badge (for having too many low or high score reviews

and etc.

Badges are supposed to be fun. It's not a case of contributing 50 bog-standard reviews just to get a gold star, you're here to share your knowledge and experience, and this could make that fun. Not only that, the badges should give an idea into the type of reviewer you are.

At the end of the day, all Trip advisor wants us to do is provide honest reviews of the places we've been to, to benefit others.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,987 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Badges are fun - and can be even more so

I think you're trying to bring an aspect of quality to the badge thingy. It'll never catch on. Quantity transcends all.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,088 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Badges are fun - and can be even more so

there could be special ones for number of pointless replies and another for most often posted cut and paste reply.

How about one for the person with most posts removed (i could be in the running for that one)

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
6,511 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Badges are fun - and can be even more so

Most removed is mine :o))

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
735 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Badges are fun - and can be even more so

UG: now those are categories I could go for!

(such as this for the first category!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,133 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Badges are fun - and can be even more so

TA itself could get a badge for posting the most "where is my review" posts.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Badges are fun - and can be even more so

My vote is to keep it simple, very simple. The Support Forum already gets questions from people wanting to know what the badges mean. Motivation is an interesting thing: some people are motivated by badges and some just aren't and I'm sure there's a range in between. I'm glad you're enjoying your badges; that's the concept. Now, badges for most removed posts is a new one on me. Would that be a badge with a / over it? ;-)

In humour,

L4

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,470 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Badges are fun - and can be even more so

While I think the OP's post is tongue-in-cheek, I'm not sure how more badges/categories will advance the central goal/idea of TA - to provide good, helpful & reliable travel info (whether it be via reviews or answering forum questions).

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,088 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Badges are fun - and can be even more so

may not make a difference to TA generally but will make the folk that like badges feel just that little bit more "special".

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,470 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Badges are fun - and can be even more so

I like badges too, but don't feel that they would be 'special' if everyone had them or if there were a million different ones to 'earn.'

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,059 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Badges are fun - and can be even more so

I don't think the OP is tongue in cheek at all.

I believe his suggestion has merit and whilst I may not agree with all his suggestions for categories - I do believe that a little recognition for quality contribution is a good thing.

Get answers to your questions