We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

P & O Cruises - Pacific Dawn

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
P & O Cruises - Pacific Dawn

Taking our first cruise over Christmas. We are 6 adults and are booked in outside cabins on deck 5 (5141, 5143 & 5145) of the Pacific Dawn. If anyone has stayed in these cabins we would love to know what they are like. Also any other information about The Dawn, food, activities etc would be appreciated. Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,542 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: P & O Cruises - Pacific Dawn

Hi Brisbanite

No, sorry, have not stayed in any of those cabins so I can't tell you anything about them.

For more info on the Dawn, have a look at the "Cruise Reviews and Reports for cruise lines operating from Australia / New Zealand" ... simply go to the "Top questions about Cruises", click on the "show more" button and then click on the last entry .... the entry above has some good hints and tips too.

Nambour, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: P & O Cruises - Pacific Dawn

Cruising in November 2013, booked 4 berth cabin level 9, 9152. Any comments welcome. Can't wait

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,542 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: P & O Cruises - Pacific Dawn

Hi Linda

you may find what you're looking for here - www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm…

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: P & O Cruises - Pacific Dawn

Hi Husband and I cruising in October 2014 and it's his first time and my second time, i just wanted to know the ship is fantastic but did anyone get any vaccinations, or mossie bites i am more worried about the mossies than other stuff we are going to Noumea, Lifou and Vila so if anyone can give us an idea what to expect that would be fantastic as i have also heard of people saying there were health scares on the boat if anyone can shed light on this that would be fantastic.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,542 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: P & O Cruises - Pacific Dawn

Hi Diana

Welcome to the Cruises Forum.

I have had various vaccinations for travel overseas but have not had any specific vaccinations for the places you are going to. Mind you, everyone should have an up to date tetanus shot as well as Hepatitus ... see your GP and they should be able to do this for you.

As for mozzies, I never had an issue with mozzies at any of those places.

You mentioned "health scares on the boat" - what specifically have you heard of ?

There are a couple of "health scares on the boat" that I could imagine that people may talk about and that could be :

1. colds, coughs and flu etc can spread throughout the ship and IME, it's not unusual particularly after a long cruise for many passengers to come down with a cold etc.

2. the other "health scares on the boat" that may be the issue is something called Norovirus - a horrible sickness where you can vomit and have gastric. This is a virus that has been found on many ships resulting in higher levels of sanitisation occurring. The best way to avoid this is to wash your hands with soap and water very regularly, particularly after touching railings etc in the common areas, don't stick your fingers in your mouth as that can infect you faster than you can say Jack Robinson .... never use the public toiliets - use only the toilet in your cabin which will help minimise risk.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: P & O Cruises - Pacific Dawn

Hi Thank you for your reply, the health scare one traveller said on facebook for pacific dawn that it was terrible and there was a health scare and i tried to message her on facebook but no reply. I've been to these places before and never encountered like you said mozzies but mozzies love my husband and i was reading on smart traveller maybe i didn't understand it well. yes this time i will use the toilet in our cabin as last time i got gastro on the way back to brisbane and was in lock down in my room for 24 hours it was hard lucky i they allowed me to smoke in the bathroom etc but don't smoke now so doesn't bother me its just the mozzies that i had a concern because of dengue fever etc the last time i went on a cruise back in december of 06 not sure what the weather is like in october and we have a balcony room which im excited your feedback and anyones is greatly appreciated. :)

Diana

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,542 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: P & O Cruises - Pacific Dawn

We bought a roll on insect repellant with DEET in it. We got it from the Travel Dr in Sydney.

Google travel doctor Brisbane and see what comes up as you can buy medical supplies from them - or you local chemist may have it.

We got this repellant specifically for Sth America's tropical areas. I don't know that you need that kind of strength for the islands tho.

The most important thing is being a little OCD about hand washing and touching railings etc in common areas and frequent hand washing with soap ... the antibacterial "hand cleanser" will not prevent catching Norovirus.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
6,932 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: P & O Cruises - Pacific Dawn

We had a chat to our GP who checked a travel vaccination website and arranged what he recommended as well made certain our normal shots for flu etc were up to date prior to our last cruise.

Some of these weren't covered by the PBS scheme but were claimable on private health cover.

Mozzies on the islands didn't bother us it's really a case of taking sensible precautions if using sunscreen, put sunscreen on first followed by tropical strength aerogard and spraying clothing and exposed parts of the skin.

The smart traveller website generally has health info on the islands you will be visiting and suggests precautions to take.

Dougo has given you great advice make certain you use hand sanitiser whenever possible on board and enjoy your cruise.

Enjoy.

Edited: 25 June 2014, 14:35
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,542 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: P & O Cruises - Pacific Dawn

Famrick

"Dougo has given you great advice make certain you use hand sanitiser whenever possible on board"

I actually said wash your hands frequently with soap and water ... the hand sanitiser helps with bacteria but not viruses.

So if there is an outbreak of norovirus or gastric illness, washing your hands with soap and water is the way to go ... and try to avoid putting your fingers in your mouth if possible !

10. Re: P & O Cruises - Pacific Dawn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2015, 16:17