We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carnival Spirit Australia

sydney
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
Carnival Spirit Australia

Hi Just wondering if anyone can give me any feedback on Carnival Spirit Australia. We will be first time cursers this year, always been a bit suspect of cruises, but hoping we made the right choice.

cheers

331 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Carnival Spirit Australia

Have a look at these threads about information on ports some of the South Pacific ports -

tripadvisor.com.au/…43754649

Post #9 - tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g1-i10703-k5192…

And have a look at this recent thread when the poster - also new to cruising - wanted some hints and tips - tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g1-i10703-k6040…

sydney
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Carnival Spirit Australia

Isle of Pines, Suva, Port Denarau, Mystery Island, Noumea :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Carnival Spirit Australia

I've been to all of thise places .... Suva and Port Denarau in 2010 and the others in 2011 (tho I have been to Isle of Pines and Noumea several times)

I think on our first visit to Noumea, we caught the tchou tchou train from the Square in the town .. just 5 mins walk from where the ship docks ... we had to use Pacific French Francs to pay for it and we exchanged AUD on the ship.

Unless you do this with the ship, you will not get any commentary ... it's more like a tourist commuter transport system and it stops for a short time at each spot.

We have never been to Amadee Island even tho' we tried to twice ... I hear that it is a great place to visit for the day but the cost is quite high - around $180 pp last I hear

You can however simply walk around the city of Noumea or if you like, get a "bus trip around Noumea for around #AUD 20-25pp from the dock at Noumea ... there will be people inside the building and outside on the street ... check out their =mini van first as some use the middle fold down seat in the aisle which means no back suppport and therefore uncomftoable unless you like this type of seat ... the trip takes around 1 hour or so.

Isle of Pines ... a tender port - you can use AUD - market stalls, food stalls - tho each of these were quite expensive last time we went and besides, that the "lobsters" looked more like Yabby size and to me, not very appetising. The best thing to do here is wear your swimmers, a sarong, have crocs on your feet, take snorkel gear and hit the beautiful lagoon.

Port Denarau ... we visited here after Suva and I found this port stop very touristy and "resort-pristine style" which has nothing to do with the "real Fiji". We tendered here. There are shops at the wharf and you can do a shuttle bus ride around to the resorts and get off and have a look. I beleive you could hire a taxi into Nandi (sp?) if you wanted to .. make sure they will drop you back !! Or you might be able to arrange a hire car.

Suva ... we got a shuttle into the city area and walked to the museum and botanic gardens ... it was quite a walk and hot and while we found it "interesting", I can't recommend it as it may not be everyone's cup of tea ...we found the Museum interesting - artifacts from islander life and old sea faring vessels etc but others may not.

Mystery Island - a tender port ... great place to swim and snorkel and you can walk right around the island very comfortably ... I thought this was a lovely island and the local people came over and had a few singing groups of kids etc ... no permanent residents here but a lovely "getaway" island nonetheless.

sydney
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Carnival Spirit Australia

thanks for that dougooz....can i also ask money wise what you think is enough on each place, and should we get it all here. When we went to fiji we got all the money here was easy one destination etc..

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Carnival Spirit Australia

TBH, I don't spend a lot in ports ... I'm over buying t-shirts and souvenirs and postcards.

It depends on whether you want to have something to eat and drink - lot's of people like doing that. For a 7 day cruise for the two of us, I usually only take about $AUD 250 in small bills - $5, $10, $20 and gold coins for kids on the islands if they are showing off their pets ... too cute.

I don't buy food such as lobsters etc cooked on a BBQ or in a pot as I've seen how "clean" the water is that they wash them in after they cook them (a bucket - no running water)

Isle of Pines - money for drinks and snacks from the bar if you want to partake, maybe $20 + for souvenirs if anything takes your fancy

Suva - there are a couple of shuttles here - or there were when we went there in May 2010... one took you to an outlet type place or shopping centre and the other took you to the main shopping centre - the latter was a bus owned by a store (forget the name but they are at Port Denarau too).. people who shopped at the outlets said they got some great bargains (jeans, sneakers etc) but at the main shops ... I bought little things .. probably about $20-30 ... and a few dollars each entry to the Museum ... but it depends on what you want to do

Port Denarau - if you hire a car or spend the day at a resort you'll need some cash and if you buy at any of the shops in port, you can use your CC or cash.

Mystery Island - the cruise ship set up soft drinks and beer for sale and the locals also sell lobster ... there is no refrigeration here so I would be careful about this.

There are a few photo opps with the locals who also set up a massive sized cooking pot and you pay about $5-10 pp to get into the pot and have photo opps with the locals who are dressed up as canibals - great fun. and of course photo opps in a lovely island setting and gold coin donations to kids who are singing, or displaying their pets etc

There's a market here with some pretty sarongs etc - around $10-20 each - I forget now - and hand painted T-shirts ... lots of people buying stuff here ... ...

Noumea - bus tours - around $20-25 pp - I have no idea how much a taxi costs and I would avoid sitting down in a cafe for a coffee - you may get ripped off with a different price than on the black board. Lots of small things to buy at the market upstairs in the dock from hand made objects to jewellery - none of it is cheap IMO but some look "cheap". I rarely buy anything at Noumea other than internet time ! And apart from the shore tours at the dock where AUD is accepted you will need Pacific French Francs in the town / shopping area.

sydney
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Carnival Spirit Australia

i knwo where you are coming from, all i relaly want to do is sit back and enjoy the sun and the ocean:)

Sydney, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: Carnival Spirit Australia

Go to duck island on other side of noumea, its lovely, cheap and great snorkelling. Catch a taxi straight to the other side of the island, or the red bus (its near the aquarium which was also tops!) and then get a water taxi over to duck island.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Carnival Spirit Australia

Juzzy

I have heard of Duck Island and I;m sure I saw it from the Tchou Tchou train ... any idea of how much a taxi costs and if taxis are easy to catch to get back to the ship ?

Sydney, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: Carnival Spirit Australia

Sorry i dont know the costs and yes the choo choo train goes past it but we caught a red shuttle bus that dropped us at the water taxi stand and picked us up at the acquarium on return trip, it wasnt much. Friends of ours went to the light house place and paid dearly for the same day trip that we got for a fraction of the price... minus the lunch but there was a BBQ lunch you could buy for like 10 bucks on duck island (it was sunday).

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Carnival Spirit Australia

Thanks for that Juzzy

Reply to: Carnival Spirit Australia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted