We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carnival Cruises - Pacific Islands Cruise

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Carnival Cruises - Pacific Islands Cruise

Hi there,

I'm looking to book a 9 day pacific island cruise with Carnival Cruises for July 13, just wanted some advice on whether they're the pick over P&O - I'm after something that won't be over run with children but won't be full of drunken footy teams/teenagers/bogans. Also curious as to whether either are gay friendly. Looking to book a balcony suite to share with a friend, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carnival Cruises - Pacific Islands Cruise

Being july you shouldn't get drunken footy teams. As for children, there wil be less if its outside school holidays but you will always have families cruising. As for the bogan issue, with cruises getting cheaper, we are sneaking aboard lol. We are on the dawn july next year for my 40th (wife myself and 2 kids) along with 17 others (sister inlaw and her partner are gay)

Never been on carnival but am a return cruiser with p&o. Met gay couple s cruising p&o before and they were having a ball.

Hope this helps some.

Trevor

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carnival Cruises - Pacific Islands Cruise

I haven't been on Carnival and it seems to me that they have a definite family flavour ... but then again, so does P&O.

I do know that P&O restrict the numbers of children on board but there still seems to be a lot of them some times but luckily most are in the children's programs and not running around the ship !!

As for bogans ... I've seen my fair share of them on P&O in recent times however P&O do keep a close eye on the mischief makers as well as the drunks. If anyone has too much, they refuse service and I know that once they refuse service, they usually put a stop on using the cruise card for around a 12 hour period ... that means that you can't buy anything in the boutiques or even a cappacino... I saw that happen to a friend's friend in May last year on the Pac Pearl.

As for gay friendly, I don't think that worries anyone.

As for the balconies, I would suggest you look at the deck plans to see where they are on the ship before you book. As a general rule, I will only book cabins on a ship where there are cabins overhead and underneath. Why? well if you have the pool deck or a restaurant overhead, your sleep will more than likely be disturbed by cleaning of the deck until late, party animals on the open decks overhead and cleaning of the restaurants not to mention cooking and clanging of pots and pans at 4.30am !

As for Carnival vs P&O, in the presentations I've been to re Carnival, I think their ships have more to offer passengers in terms of nicer decor in rooms, but also perhaps more restaurants / eating options.

www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/decks.php…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carnival Cruises - Pacific Islands Cruise

Brilliant, thanks so much guys, we're booking in the next few days, very handy tips for balcony booking too - I love my sleep so if I was kept awake by party animals it wouldn't end well for anyone :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carnival Cruises - Pacific Islands Cruise

Come back and let us know what you thought of your cruise please !!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carnival Cruises - Pacific Islands Cruise

Will do, it's not until July next year but always happy to post feedback on any thing like this.

Thanks Again!

Brisbane
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Carnival Cruises - Pacific Islands Cruise

Did you end up taking this cruise? I've just today booked for our little family of 4 to do a similar Carnival cruise in Jan 2014 and would love to read your review.

7. Re: Carnival Cruises - Pacific Islands Cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2014, 16:19