We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carnival Spirit out of Australia?

Hunter Valley, NSW
Level Contributor
13 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Carnival Spirit out of Australia?

Has anyone been on a Carnival Spirit cruise with children out of Australia? We are thinking about taking our girls (ages 2 & 4) on a CS cruise next year but I can't find any user reviews online other than those CS provide themselves on their website.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
4,800 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carnival Spirit out of Australia?

Have you tried looking at CC?

cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/…

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
310 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carnival Spirit out of Australia?

Spirit doesn't start sailing from Australia until October 2012.

Hunter Valley, NSW
Level Contributor
13 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carnival Spirit out of Australia?

That would be why I've not found anything! I'm blaming baby brain!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carnival Spirit out of Australia?

I haven't been on Carnival Spirit tho' I did attend a presentation about the Carnival line and its inaugural season here.

The Spirit seems to be quite geared up towards kids and families but your girls may be a little small to ride the giant green slide. However there should be other water activities that your girls would enjoy.

At the presentation, the cruise line reps said that the Spirit was being refurbed and some changes were being made to menus etc to accommodate Aussie's tastes !!

Part of that refurb was to "install" more interconnecting rooms for families where Mum and Dad could have their own space but be close at hand to their children in the next room through an interconnecting door. I understand that there will be over 80 inter-connecting rooms so you can have two rooms if you want.

From what I was told at the presentation, not all rooms will have a fridge in them so if you specifically want a refrigerator, you should ask for a cabin with one.

Newcastle, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Carnival Spirit out of Australia?

I happened to go on the first cruise out of sydney in October with my 6yr old. Is the there much to do on board with children? Not really, there are 2 pool areas and a spa in each area, although one pool area has been designated a smoking area, so unless your a smoker with children, it isn't the best place to spend your day.

As for activities for children, there is a small water slide area near the two major slides, there is also a mini putt putt area and that is about it. There is a kids club and a child minding service, if you are minded to have a night to yourselves, this service costs from memory, about $8 per hour.

They have a couple of shows which are family friendly, but I wouldn't think your 2 and 4 yrs olds would really be interested in those anyway.

There isn't a great deal of stimulating entertainment on a day to day basis for children, or adults for that matter.

Would I recommend you take your a holiday with 2 little children on this boat, No.

There just isn't enough positives to outweigh the down points.

Good luck with your choice.

Hunter Valley, NSW
Level Contributor
13 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carnival Spirit out of Australia?

Thanks! We have decided to wait a while on the cruise in favour of a few shorter mini-breaks (Western plains zoo, Lani's Holiday Island at Forster, Happy Hallidays, etc). We'll leave the cruise until the girls are a fair bit older after reading the recommendations from here & the reviews of the overseas version...all reccomended waiting until the girls were much older.

Thanks everyone for replying!

Merimbula, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carnival Spirit out of Australia?

Years ago(1988) I took my 3 children(5,2&1) on PO then in 1998 took our 5 children(15,13,11,8,5) they had fantastic facilities for kids both times...check them out...we and the kids thoroughly enjoyed ourselves....kids clubs were great. Now planning a cruise next year with 2 of the girls (26,20) next year so are looking at Carnival. Don't wait ..go now then again as they grow...worth it but select appropriate ships for their ages.

happy sailing

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carnival Spirit out of Australia?

Terry

it sounds like there are a couple of other things for kids to do on the Spirit than there are on P&O - such as the water slide and mini putt putt. There used to be a water slide on the Pacific Sun, but there was a minimum height requirement.

As for the non-smoking area, it's the same with P&O - by the pool - on the port side (?) only which is really useless if the smoke wafts over to the other side where non smokes sit.

At least on CS it was confined to one pool so you could enjoy either of the other options if you wished.

Did your child go to the kid's club?

And what were the eating options like?

Edited: 15 November 2012, 08:18
Melbourne, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Carnival Spirit out of Australia?

I found the food on deck 9 in the bain maries, all cold not a lot of entertainment on board, very disappointed actually, looking forward to cruising with P&O in December

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carnival Spirit out of Australia?

Benjamin

Which P&O ship are you going on ?