We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MSC vs Royal Caribbean

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
MSC vs Royal Caribbean

Looking to book a cruise in September, trying to decide between Splendour of the Seas vs. MSC Musica, travelling to Greece from Bari, Italy.

Is there any noticeable difference in quality and amenities. Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,450 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MSC vs Royal Caribbean

I've been on Royal Caribbean (Radiance) but not on MSC ... choosing between those two, I would say go with Royal Caribbean because they get much better feedback from those who have cruised on their ships, whereas MSC reviews seem to be more negative than positive.

Reading reviews should help with your decision ... here are links to an overview of each ship, plus reviews:

Splendour:

www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm…

cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/…

Musica:

www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm…

cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/…

Have you cruised before, and if so with which cruise line?

AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MSC vs Royal Caribbean

Hi Scoop9.

I have cruised on both lines you mentioned and the answer is emphatically GO WITH ROYAL CARIBBEAN. MSC IMO is very ordinary, particularly customer service, food and entertainment all the things that need to be right to have a memorable cruising experience.

Regards Bob.

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
8 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MSC vs Royal Caribbean

I've crused on both lines also, and my answer is: it depends on what you want. I find MSC to have a more European feel - meaning fewer Americans, more "bistro" type food - no lobster night - and service that is less overt than what we are used to in the U.S.

For me, I'd rather cruise in Europe and feel like I was there with other Europeans, and I don't have an issue with how things are priced differently for room service delivery, additional water, etc. (and MSC discounts heavily for the room - so it all works out in the end)

We also don't go on a cruise ship to meet other people, but I know others enjoy the social aspect. Personally, I think it's a great way to see a lot of places without unpacking, but I do miss the local flavor when staying in town.

Am planning another MSC cruise in a few months, so we had no hesitation whatsoever about booking with them again. (and reading your original post, it's the same cruise you were considering for October).

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,335 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MSC vs Royal Caribbean

I don't know if this is important to you, buyt MSC's charges are in Euro and RCL = US $

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
46 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MSC vs Royal Caribbean

Royal Caribbean Cruises left me high and dry!!!

Be very careful of booking with this company. I was booked on a cruise of Mariner of the Seas and without reason my trip has been cancelled. One understands that cruises might have to and do get cancelled from time to time. It is however the manner in which RC has handled this which is so disappointing. I thought they were a reputable and professional company but they proved not to be as reputable.

Without any reasons given for cruise cancellation, one has to draw your own conclusions. Possibly there might be something wrong with this vessel and hence passenger safety might be at stake. Who knows – perhaps a repeat of the Costa incident?

This cruise company has now left my high and dry (no pun intended). They did offer alternative arrangements but nothing which suits my other confirmed and paid for reservations. It turns out that my travel insurance does not cover me either. It will cost me serious money now having to fill a gap of 14 days right in the middle of a 30 day holiday. All has been paid and booked way in advance. If you were aware that the sailing might have been cancelled, why then accept bookings and collect payment???

All other options considered at this late stage are either booked out or VERY expensive. Sure there are supposed terms and conditions, but the non-care attitude of the supposedly respectable company is what really gets me down. They did offer to reimburse me all my paid cruise expenses - very generous, thanks. What about all my other losses?

Travelling all the way from South Africa to China for your cruise shows our commitment to your brand. Our experience made us to believe that your brand is misrepresented. I thought American companies are service and customer orientated but you have seriously let me down.

POOR SHOW ROYAL CARIBBEAN!! You will not see me again and I will discourage anyone from using your services.

6. Re: MSC vs Royal Caribbean

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2014, 14:15