We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

alaska inside cruise denali land

Lake Ariel...
6 posts
Save Topic
alaska inside cruise denali land

Does anyone have suggestions for the best excursions to do while on board and on land in Denali. We don;t want to break the bank but love to see the wildlife and glaciers as well as the quiant towns. Not into toooo touristy things.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,916 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: alaska inside cruise denali land

G'day rainey, and welcome to the forums.

Your question is very general in nature and difficult to respond directly to. Might I suggest that you post on the Alaska forum, where similar inquiries often are seen, and there are some good advisors to assist you with your questions.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g28923-i349-Ala…

If doing so please provide more information. Month of travel, ports of call, age of group members and mobility, time available on the land pre/post cruise etc.

In regard to excursions, the best thing is to download the excursion list from the cruise line and then pick several preferred options in each port from the many that are available. Ask about those on the Alaska forum and there is a good chance that you can be provided with names of local providers who can give the same excursion, usually far more personalised, and sometimes longer and less expensive, than the cruise line. For example, the most popular excursion in Juneau is whale watching and the ship booked people sail on vessels with around 100/150 passengers. Local resident operators Harv & Marv or Orca Enterprises, as examples, only run vessels with six to twelve people.

Same in Skagway where the White Pass and Yukon Rail is extremely popular, and very worthwhile, but an added bonus for this excursion is an extension by road deeper into the Yukon which I highly recommend. Local Dyea Dave runs 10/20 seat vans and will arrange the rail leg and road leg to suit, stopping wherever passengers would like to, while the ship passengers are cramped into carriages just for them on the rail leg, and then 50 seater coaches running a fixed schedule for the road leg.

In regard to Denali, that is a HUGE topic by itself. I have no personal experience there, as I have only travelled in the SE panhandle of Alaska, but from my reading of the Alaska forum over several years it would be FAR better doing it self-organised. Again, the Alaska forum would provide you with very valuable information of the options to cover this topic.

Hope to see you on the Alaska forum soon. Oh, and perhaps it would be best to split your inquiries into two separate questions - one for cruise excursions and the other for use of your time on the land including Denali.

Happy planning for a wonderful region of the world.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,179 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: alaska inside cruise denali land

You have a great response from Frommy and you can get even more from Fannish. Use the search function as she has previously posted a wealth of details.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,179 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: alaska inside cruise denali land

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10703-k2904637…

Taking just a quick look under 'Fannish Alaska' here's one of her threads that you can check out.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,179 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: alaska inside cruise denali land

tripadvisor.com/…34246310

And here's another thread for example. Enjoy

Lake Ariel...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: alaska inside cruise denali land

Thanks so much for the info. This reminds me of planning our South African safari. We want to make the best choices and we are relying on people who have done these things. We are arriving in Vancouver on May 19, 2012 for a 7 day inside passage cruise. So far we like the Mendenhall Glacier/Whale trip in Juneau. The White Pass rail in Shagway and something involving the Kenai National Park vicinity, ie Kenai River etc. We know we want to do the 8 hr tour into the tundra in Denali, as we are spending 3 nights in Denali. Thats what I have so far. As I stated earlier we don't like the touristy type of things are more interested in the land and wildlife. Thanks so much for taking the time to help me make the right choices for this wonderful trip.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,916 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: alaska inside cruise denali land

rainey,

Shagway. LOL. Try Skagway. :)

As I previously mentioned, post on the Alaska forum. For example you mentioned the Denali tundra tour. Well here is an example of previous advice given on that subject from the Alaska forum:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g143022-i1271-k…

There are many other threads giving the same advice about that tour.

7. Re: alaska inside cruise denali land

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2013, 21:17