We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monarch airlines weighing hand luggage?

Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Monarch airlines weighing hand luggage?

Hi, we are flying to Paphos with Easyjet with hand/cabin luggage only. Easyjet don't bother about the weight, but we are flyng back with Monarch. I've read that they enforce a strict 10kg hand luggage weight restriction. Does anyone know how true this is? Do they actually weigh all hand luggage at the boarding gate? I would've thought that time wouldn't allow them to do this for all passengers? Anyone flown with them before and can advise? I would be very grateful, thank you

26 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
21,747 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monarch airlines weighing hand luggage?

If it says a 10kg limit then wouldn't it be wise to stick to this? Otherwise be prepared to pay for excess charges if it does get weighed.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,906 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monarch airlines weighing hand luggage?

I flew back with them last night. You agreed to take upto 10kg hand luggage, so either stick to that or be prepared to pay. The majority of passengers don't travel hand luggage only. When you drop bags at the airport they sometimes tag your luggage so the gate agents know which ones have been seen, and which haven't. Ours were tagged at bag drop. They weren't weighed, but it was easy to see they were under weight because of how easy they were to lift. They did weigh someone's at the next desk to us though.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
20,864 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monarch airlines weighing hand luggage?

unless you have some form of special dispensation from abiding by the rules, then you should abide by these rules

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
11,324 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monarch airlines weighing hand luggage?

The rules apply to everybody, you know what the weight limit is, make sure your baggage is within it.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
279 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monarch airlines weighing hand luggage?

We recently flew back from Verona and did airport check-in having flown out with Ryanair to Bologna (two bags allowed and they never in my experience check the weight). The check-in agent offered to check-in our hand luggage cases and both were within a whisker of 10kg. My wife also had a fairly small handbag and I had an ultra light-weight (fold-up) rucksack with a few essentials in. They do allow two bags, but must together be within the 10kg and fit in the frame together, but he didn't ask to weigh our second bags. Similar experience flying back from Naples last year, but I don't remember whether or not they weighed anything at check-in. I would certainly make sure your main bag is within limit and don't take the mick with the second bag.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,906 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monarch airlines weighing hand luggage?

If you take 2 bags the total dimensions of both must still comply with the 56 x 40 x 25cm dimensions. As EZY size is slightly bigger I would guess the OP would be at max dimensions with just the one bag.

South of England
Level Contributor
1,865 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monarch airlines weighing hand luggage?

I travel regularly to Gibraltar, normally flying EasyJet. The other month I ended up flying LGW/GIB on Monarch and booked back on EasyJet.

As usual I travelled hand baggage only and had a different wheelie trolley to my normal one as I had to fit the ZB required dimensions (56 X 40 X 25) which are slightly smaller than the EZY ones (56 X 45 X 25). At the boarding gate the staff we eyeing up bags and I guess because my bag was to the maximum size limit was invited to place my bag on a set of scales that they had at the gate. Fortunately I was spot on the 10kgs limit.

So, to your question, whilst I don't believe the gate staff will check and weigh all bags, there is a chance that they will do especially if your bag 'looks' large and heavy. Best stay within the rules of the airline in terms of size and weight, or gamble and have your credit card to hand.

Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monarch airlines weighing hand luggage?

Thanks for all your replies. Really interesting that Monarch applies this limit and justifies it by saying it's because of health & safety and that if a cabin locker door came undone during a flight a bag of more than 10kg would cause injury. I think a 10kg bag would definitely cause a serious injury anyway! Obviously by this reckoning Easyjet don't have the same concerns, strangely enough. Perhaps I should be more concerned about Monarch's standard of planes if their cabin lockers are this bad. Nothing to do with imposing over inflated penalties on their customers to maximise their profit then? First & last time with this airline. Of course I will be sticking to the rules, just weighed case and its 9.37kgs, room to buy while I'm on holiday. Always travel light, but like to buy a few things to bring back. Obviously got to be careful because of Monatch this time

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
870 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Monarch airlines weighing hand luggage?

Lynn H, don't ever come to my country then. Both Qantas and Virgin demand 7kg only for hand luggage and I have had mine weighed before. Jetstar and Tiger, from what I hear, are even stricter.

The rules are what they are, getting all snooty about it isn't going to change anything. The adjustment required here is to your attitude, not the airline regs.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
20,864 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Monarch airlines weighing hand luggage?

oh lynne ! to be honest, nobody has to justify a rule, to you or anyone else! the rule is the rule and if you ;dont like it, then dont fly with any airline that doesnt mind if you put the kitchen sink in their luggage!

Reply to: Monarch airlines weighing hand luggage?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted