We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Qatar Airways A380 - Upper Deck Economy Question

Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
2 helpful votes
Qatar Airways A380 - Upper Deck Economy Question

Hi,

I'll be travelling with the Qatar Airways A380-800 from Sydney to Doha (flight QR0909); Qatar Airways seems to have the A380 set up such that there are a few economy seats on the upper deck, presumably available to certain PC/OW status holders. I seem to be able to access these seats, however there seems to be a controversial topic at hand: Some people claim that disembarking from the aircraft takes significantly longer if one opts for the economy seats on the upper deck.

Does anybody know/have experience with the economy seats on the upper deck of this aircraft? Where do the economy passengers disembark the aircraft from? Is there any advice for/against booking these upper deck seats?

Thank you for your replies!

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
1 post
78 reviews
98 helpful votes
1. Re: Qatar Airways A380 - Upper Deck Economy Question

I much prefer these seats. It's a smaller, quieter cabin and the service is always good (perhaps there's a better crew/passenger ratio). As for disembarking - on the Doha - London route upper-deck economy passengers disembark forward through business class so it's usually quicker than economy below. For embarkation you board first as you must walk the length of the lower deck and up the stairs to access the economy upper deck cabin.

England
Level Contributor
242 posts
30 reviews
30 helpful votes
2. Re: Qatar Airways A380 - Upper Deck Economy Question

What you have heard is broadly correct, though what defines "significantly longer" is subjective.

QR upper deck Economy pax may be directed downstairs to follow the lower deck economy pax, or, if the F & J pax clear quickly they may be allowed to exit through the Business class section & upper exit. It's all about timing on the day & there's no guarantee which route will be used. However, there's a high probability upper deck econ. pax will be amongst the last to leave the aircraft, so if you're nervous about a tight connection time you might be wiser in choosing somewhere on the lower deck.

On the positive side, the economy section on the upper deck is generally thought to be a better experience due to the smaller cabin & 2-4-2 rather than 3-4-3 seat layout.

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
32 posts
62 reviews
72 helpful votes
3. Re: Qatar Airways A380 - Upper Deck Economy Question

On the same theme, I am travelling SYD-DOH-in Sep on Qatar and have upper deck Y seats. I have noticed the bar/lounge area for Bus/1st is right in front of the Y seats. Does anyone have any feedback on this being noisy?

Mbabane, Eswatini...
Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
3 helpful votes
4. Re: Qatar Airways A380 - Upper Deck Economy Question

The few times ive used one we embarked in the front. Just after business class. I like the quitness in tnis cabin.

England
Level Contributor
242 posts
30 reviews
30 helpful votes
5. Re: Qatar Airways A380 - Upper Deck Economy Question

Jacki

Although the bar & economy cabins are adjacent the bar is set up as a place to mingle, rather than party 'Emirates style'. There's a solid wall & heavy duty curtains to dampen any noise, but if it does start to become noisy have a word with the cabin crew & they will sort it out.

Central Coast...
Level Contributor
4,130 posts
7 reviews
1 helpful vote
6. Re: Qatar Airways A380 - Upper Deck Economy Question

It's the best economy cabin, sitting in the exit row felt like premium economy.

However, in our case, several women in business class, took 20 to 30 minutes to change into their cultural attire. That put us on the back of the security/immigration queues. They didn't send us down to the lower deck exit.

Central Coast...
Level Contributor
4,130 posts
7 reviews
1 helpful vote
7. Re: Qatar Airways A380 - Upper Deck Economy Question

On a different flight, when in BC there was only us and another couple in the bar - it was very quiet.

Edited: 7 years ago
Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
32 posts
62 reviews
72 helpful votes
8. Re: Qatar Airways A380 - Upper Deck Economy Question

Thanks everyone, that is useful info. Much appreciated.

Edited: 7 years ago
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
161 reviews
140 helpful votes
9. Re: Qatar Airways A380 - Upper Deck Economy Question

Can you let me know how it was sitting in this section when you get back :)

I've just booked flights for next year and have also been allocated economy seats in the upper level and have exactly the same questions you have raised .

Thankyou

10. Re: Qatar Airways A380 - Upper Deck Economy Question

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the Tripadvisor community and has been removed.

© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.