We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expedia.com BEWARE!

Level Contributor
40 posts
Expedia.com BEWARE!

This is not a question, but just wanted to share my story about Expedia. I booked a vacation package with Expedia because they really do offer great deals. I think it comes at a price though because you get poor customer service and very little help if anything goes wrong with your trip. Anyway, I booked 10 months ago thinking I was going to be flying out of San Jose, CA, and hours before departure I find out at the airport that my departing airport is from San Jose, Costa Rica. I called customer service and was on hold with Expedia for hours. They said to change my trip, it would cost $2,000 per person. About $4,000 total to do my trip with travel time cutting into my vacation time. I felt cheated because I've looked at my email confirmation countless times, and I've even looked online at "My Trips" to see my flight schedule. All I saw was "San Jose SJO". There was no indication of Costa Rica except for SJO, which is the airport code for San Jose, Costa Rica. I wish the email confirmation and the itinerary posted on my Expedia account showed Costa Rica because I would've easily caught this mistake and changed it. For those using Expedia, know your airport codes if you're going to be flying out of San Jose, CA. Expedia will email you your itinerary that says San Jose SJO or San Jose SJC. They will not show any other information. Priceline on the other hand spells out San Jose, Ca and includes the title Mineta Airport. So when booking with Expedia, beware! Also if you book with Expedia, you don't get to choose your seats.

171 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
24,051 posts
378 reviews
1. Re: Expedia.com BEWARE!

When you booked it did you not notice you'd booked the wrong airport. When typing San Jose into Expedia, didn't you notice which airport you selected? It quite clearly states Costa Rica or CA which you then need to select the relevant airport, so even without knowledge of airport codes I can't see how this is Expedia's error..

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
59,361 posts
149 reviews
2. Re: Expedia.com BEWARE!

Your mistake and you blame the OTA ? Wow just wow. When you booked the page would have shown San Jose Costa Rica in the drop down and you chose that And you did not check for 10 months wow just wow

Sorry that you were careless. Do not blame the OTA for your mistake

Level Contributor
40 posts
3. Re: Expedia.com BEWARE!

Even if it was human error when I first booked, the email confirmation page did not show Costa Rica. It just showed San Jose SJO. I've checked my email confirmation countless times. I just didn't know SJO is for Costa Rica. I think Expedia should show more information on their email confirmation than just "San Jose SJO". Priceline totally shows more information.

Edited: 20 June 2016, 11:37
Level Contributor
40 posts
4. Re: Expedia.com BEWARE!

The point that I'm trying to make is Expedia should show more information in the confirmation email so that this wouldn't happen. Like Priceline, it should show the name of the airports and actual city locations rather than relying on airport code to distinguish between places. I haven't flown since June 2012 so it's been awhile for me.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
53,467 posts
1,800 reviews
5. Re: Expedia.com BEWARE!

There is an ad (in the USA) from Travelocity, IIRC, that goes like this, "You wanted to go to Athens, Greece, but booked tickets to Athens, GA instead... "

Like wanting to go to Paris, FR, but flying into Paris, TX, for 1/10th the price. Gotta' watch what you book.

Good luck,

Hunt

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
59,361 posts
149 reviews
6. Re: Expedia.com BEWARE!

Priceline does this Priceline does that then why did you not book with Priceline and why are you whining here because you made a mistake. Complain to Expedia and not trip advisor

People make mistakes on ticket names , on airports on ESTA and make stupid spelling mistakes and don't check and double check their tickets and passport names and their spelling then complain and complain.

And we are humans we all make mistakes - accept them and fix them next time. You have not flown in 4 years so what ? All the more reason to double check

Edited: 20 June 2016, 12:17
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Expedia.com BEWARE!

It's the user's mistake, not Expedia's

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
3,761 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: Expedia.com BEWARE!

Beware of what? You are an adult, and as such, need to accept the fact this was 100% your fault.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
29 reviews
9. Re: Expedia.com BEWARE!

"I've even looked online at "My Trips" to see my flight schedule. All I saw was "San Jose SJO". There was no indication of Costa Rica except for SJO"

Yes there was. When you looked at the four choices when you entered San Jose and chose the wrong one:

San Jose, Costa Rica (SJO-All Airports)

San Jose, CA (SJC-Norman Y. Mineta San Jose Intl.)

San Jose del Cabo, Baja California Sur, Mexico (SJD-Los Cabos Intl.)

San Jose, Costa Rica (SYQ-Tobias Bolanos Intl.)

Edited: 20 June 2016, 15:03
Level Contributor
40 posts
10. Re: Expedia.com BEWARE!

I get that yes it was an error on my part when I first booked, but how do you double and triple check an email confirmation page that only shows "San Jose SJO"? I did. I doubled and tripled checked. I kept looking at my confirmation email and all I saw was "San Jose SJO". I was under the assumption this was San Jose , Ca. I would like Expedia to blatantly spell out the difference between destinations like how Priceline does it so there's a way to double and triple check airports. I only point out the difference between the two because that's how someone like me would be able to double and triple check an email confirmation. How would I be able to double and triple check an email confirmation that only shows "San Jose SJO"?

I've already tried complaining to Expedia. In fact, I was complaining on the day I was supposed to fly out. I was on the phone with Expedia's customer service for hours. First them telling me that my flight would cost $2,000 a person and then eventually telling me that I could get airplane credit. That is my frustration.

I would just like people to know that Expedia only shows airport codes and the city it's located in. So whether you fly to San Jose, Ca or San Jose Costa Rica, you need to know the difference between San Jose SJO and San Jose SJC because that is all that will show up in the email confirmation. That is why I saw BEWARE!

Reply to: Expedia.com BEWARE!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted