We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of Kayak and Vayama

Buenos Aires...
2 posts
Save Topic
Beware of Kayak and Vayama

On June 9, 2016 I booked a flight on Kayak, through their partner, Vayama. I even got a reservation number and was able to select our seats on the airline. More than two days (54 hours) later, I got an email stating "... your booking request has not been processed as your credit card did not clear the 3D security measures required by Visa/MasterCard."

My credit card (never a problem with them) told me that no authorization was requested to make the full charge; that there has been a pre-authorization request for $1 to test the card that was OK'ed, at the same time we made the reservation.

In these 54 hours we were never advised of any trouble nor suggested to contact them or make a different type of payment. Now the same flight with the same fare is not available any more, anywhere.

Has any of you have any similar experience? Is there anything that can be done to make up for this type of scam?

106 replies to this topic
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
71,069 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
91. Re: Beware of Kayak and Vayama

Refundable tickets tend to be a lot more expensive than non refundable ones. If you went through Vayama I'd say it's odds on that you were looking for cheap tickets, and ended up with the latter, not the former ticket type.

If you don't have travel insurance, I fear your money has gone.

Edited: 15 June 2018, 03:56
1 post
Save Reply
92. Re: Beware of Kayak and Vayama

Worst customer service I have ever experienced! After booking a flight online, double and triple checking the date I booked the flight. Once I received my confirmation, it was for not only the wrong date but the wrong year. After requesting a change, I received a quote for the change of $140.00. I then called to make the change to make sure my flight was correct. After being on hold for 45 minutes, the customer service rep who answered hung up! Being very frusterated and heated I waited till the next day to phone again. After being on hold for 1 hour, 12 minutes I finally was patch through to an agent. After calmly stating what had happened I was put on hold for another 15ish minute. When the agent returned, he informed me that the change would cost me $375.00. I explained that is outrageous as the quote I received to make the change was only $140.00 and the ticket itself online was only $180.00 (I had already paid $130.00 for the first ticket). I asked to speak to a supervisor and he replied “no” and hung up on me. To say the least I WILL NEVER book a flight again through Vayama, and they have lost my companies business.

Carson, California
1 post
Save Reply
93. Re: Beware of Kayak and Vayama

Our situation is the same I booked s flight 3 days ago. And I was charge 1$ 6xs. But I never got a confirmation # at all. It’s a bogus deal with vayama and kayak . I even called their customer service asking some help to book me, but to avail. No help

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
94. Re: Beware of Kayak and Vayama

Yeah We has a nightmare too similar on our international flight when we went to check in online the night before. Terrible and don’t use over two hours on the phone trying to resolve and for sake of time and to make sure we got a flight we booked new flights on our own since after a few hours and blame games we still needed to get on a flight.

Herzliya, Israel
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
95. Re: Beware of Kayak and Vayama

the worst service I've come across.

after the purchase, lies and mockery, written complaints - just a ready standard answer - the fool himself, and we are good and so on any letter.

take care of your nerves - it's better to pay a trusted company for a few dollars more.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
71,069 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
96. Re: Beware of Kayak and Vayama

It's better to book direct, be it an airline, a hotel, rental car company or anyhting else.

Washington DC...
1 post
Save Reply
97. Re: Beware of Kayak and Vayama

I used Kayak.com to book a flight on Vayama.com. Vayama.com was misleading and did not provide me a transparent fare. They did NOT say the fare they were offering was BASIC ECONOMY. They said it was regular Economy. Even my confirmation does not specify. The site said I had to book my seats online directly with the airline. It was when I went to your website to reserve seats that I found out that I had been mislead by Vayama. I was sold a basic economy fare even though I had excluded basic economy from my search on Kayak.com.

I called Vayama to say that there must be a mistake and after speaking to 4 customer service representatives, I finally spoke to Dominic the supervisor of the call center who said he could not help and hung up on me! Since I bought flight insurance, he said I could use that to cancel or cancel with my credit card.

What kind of customer service is that?!?! Vayama is misleading and doesn't own up to it or even offer remedy or refunds. I will never use them again. I used to love Kayak, but obviously they are slipping as well.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,083 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
98. Re: Beware of Kayak and Vayama

Why are you posting here and whining about it here

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
10,197 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
99. Re: Beware of Kayak and Vayama

Well, you have to read the ticket details, but you are informed that it is a Basic Economy ticket before you purchase it. That said, Vayama doesn't brand the ticket as Basic Economy nor does it specifically get you to acknowledge the restrictions of Basic Economy, so bad on them.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
386 posts
Save Reply
100. Re: Beware of Kayak and Vayama

First of all, Kayak is a search engine; a price comparison site. They neither vet nor endorse the sites they list, nor do they pretend to vet or endorse the sites they list. It’s like saying, “I booked a flight through Vayama after finding it on a google search. I guess google is slipping and I better start using bing.” Kayak gives options and then it is up to the customer to perform due diligence on the various choices.

I have never (and would never) use Vayama or any other third party, but I can’t imagine the details of the fare weren’t in the fine print somewhere. Even so, use this is where some common sense needs to come into play. You have elected to go to a sketchy middleman to purchase your ticket- one of the used car salesman of the online travel world. This middleman is promising you the cheap, cheap, cheapest ticket around- of course it is going to be the most basic, restricted ticket around. That’s how these businesses operate.

Reply to: Beware of Kayak and Vayama
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted