We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of Kayak and Vayama

Buenos Aires...
2 posts
Save Topic
Beware of Kayak and Vayama

On June 9, 2016 I booked a flight on Kayak, through their partner, Vayama. I even got a reservation number and was able to select our seats on the airline. More than two days (54 hours) later, I got an email stating "... your booking request has not been processed as your credit card did not clear the 3D security measures required by Visa/MasterCard."

My credit card (never a problem with them) told me that no authorization was requested to make the full charge; that there has been a pre-authorization request for $1 to test the card that was OK'ed, at the same time we made the reservation.

In these 54 hours we were never advised of any trouble nor suggested to contact them or make a different type of payment. Now the same flight with the same fare is not available any more, anywhere.

Has any of you have any similar experience? Is there anything that can be done to make up for this type of scam?

111 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,440 posts
Save Reply
71. Re: Beware of Kayak and Vayama

>> I couldn’t make my flight cause I was 6 minutes late <<

how is that Vayama's fault?...it sounds like the fare rules of the ticket purchased had a 300 change fee plus fare difference (pretty standard) were you expecting to be charged a different amount instead?

There are times when buying a new ticket would be better - eg if this was your return flight. If this was your outbound that you missed then any other flights on the same ticket (eg return flight) will be cancelled (pretty standard) so you would need to buy a new return ticket and not just a new one-way

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,267 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
72. Re: Beware of Kayak and Vayama

Vayama are not great and I wouldn't use them

Myself for various reasons. Making you late for your flight isn't one of them. It's expensive being late for your flight as you found out. That's down to you for not getting there in time. It's not Vayama's fault. If you were expecting them to waive their fees or bear the cost for your mistake, I'm not surprised you got attitude from them!

2 posts
Save Reply
73. Re: Beware of Kayak and Vayama

Well, I remember using Vayarma to book a flight, they were OK, I even got through them the lowest price one can get.As for waiting 54 hours, and think.that the airline can hold the ticket at the same price without purchasing it, islamophobe pure naivety. Actually I had the same problem with air France, I made a reservation but didn't pay, So when I came back to finish the booking,I found that the prices had changed.

2 posts
Save Reply
74. Re: Beware of Kayak and Vayama

As I said before Vayarma is a trustworthy website since I had used it to book flights.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
97,069 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
75. Re: Beware of Kayak and Vayama

Alex: The original complaint was posted in June 2016. Why are you keeping the thread alive?

United States
Level Contributor
28 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
76. Re: Beware of Kayak and Vayama

You mean nobody here of these responses uses search sites and goes from airline to airline to look for a ticket. My gosh, who's got that time and patience and then you have to figure out who's got that route? I can't believe I'm seeing this correctly. I fly Asiana regularly and do go to them or directly to Southwest for the usual California but my other travel around Asia and the USA I have to shop around for who goes where and then what time and how much on one site or I'd go crazy. By the way, Asiana would not take my credit card due to the fact it has a PO Box as the billing address as it and EVERYTHING in my life does including my CA driver's license. So, went to Vayama (thankfully didn't' ready this first) and it seemed like a very good and professional site and ticket was same price as Asiana.

NY
Level Contributor
327 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
77. Re: Beware of Kayak and Vayama

I have used kayak for a few years and find their pricing not real time. Several times I have tried to book the flight, just to be told the fare is no longer available. And if you refresh the search, that same not available fare pops up again near the top. The only saying grace is I have not typed the passenger info or cc # in. Still, it is a pain to go back to Step 1. Booked a few times with Vayama without issue, directed there by kayak.

2 posts
Save Reply
78. Re: Beware of Kayak and Vayama

Vayama customer service is horrible. I have booked a flight to Japan on Feb 20th. I requested the name change on the same day within 24 hours. Vayama responded my request 3 days later saying they are looking into it and requested my passport page. I sent it in on the 23rd. I have regularly sent in an email or calls to ask for status 1, 2 and 3 weeks interval. All of the response were they are looking into it. Until this one response a few days ago saying I cannot correct my name. I have to cancel my ticket with a penalty fee. And I can rebook if I wanted to. They also can't guarantee if seat is still available. Certainly not going to be the same price. I then called the Japan Airline directly, they said changing name should only take 1-2 days to process and such service is available. Japan Airline also has confirmed that they have no records of Vayama calling them for a name change. This is horrible. Customer service representative name is Meg Thornton. I would not recommend purchasing tickets from Vayama in the future.

Roma
Level Contributor
2 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
79. Re: Beware of Kayak and Vayama

I have just booked a ticket with Vayama through Momondo for a trip in Tanzania. I didn't check this page before doing it and was attracted by their 9.1 score on Momondo, best among all others. I got an immediate confirmation by email and soon after I have received the eticket. It's a Vayama eticket and not a ticket from the airline, but I even have the confirmation number of the airline. I hope everything goes well...

BTW I tried using the airline site. The price was roughly the same. But the site was not working well, here is why I resorted to Momondo.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,267 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
80. Re: Beware of Kayak and Vayama

Use the airline confirmation number on the air,ine’s website to make sure your booking is correct. Then keep checking it as you cannot re,y on Vayama to notify you of any schedule changes. Good luck!

Reply to: Beware of Kayak and Vayama
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted