We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of Kayak and Vayama

Buenos Aires...
2 posts
Save Topic
Beware of Kayak and Vayama

On June 9, 2016 I booked a flight on Kayak, through their partner, Vayama. I even got a reservation number and was able to select our seats on the airline. More than two days (54 hours) later, I got an email stating "... your booking request has not been processed as your credit card did not clear the 3D security measures required by Visa/MasterCard."

My credit card (never a problem with them) told me that no authorization was requested to make the full charge; that there has been a pre-authorization request for $1 to test the card that was OK'ed, at the same time we made the reservation.

In these 54 hours we were never advised of any trouble nor suggested to contact them or make a different type of payment. Now the same flight with the same fare is not available any more, anywhere.

Has any of you have any similar experience? Is there anything that can be done to make up for this type of scam?

106 replies to this topic
Pattaya, Thailand
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Beware of Kayak and Vayama

I booked with them 4 days ago...they took my €520 I went to the airport today and not ticket...Qatar tried for 3 hours to call them ...no answer from 1pm till 4pm..Thursday 2nd November. ..I'm at the airport now...trying to get another ticket.with another airline as the gate closed...seems they forgot to send money to the airline and turned off their phones. .

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,257 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Beware of Kayak and Vayama

Very unfortunate situation but no need to post multiple times on this and another thread.

Did you get a confirmation from them? If you did, did you check QATAR's website to make sure it was confirmed? How about trying to check in online?

Sounds like a last minute booking and using an agent and a rubbish one st that, wasn't very wise as you've found out.

Book direct in future especially if the travel date is close. If you must use an agent then st least research them first.

Get your credit card company to do a chargeback if the money has actually been processed. Suspect though it's just a hold as they never managed to book you in time. That should drop off in a few days

Manila
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
43. Re: Beware of Kayak and Vayama

Actually,I recently purchased a Flight with Vayama and because the Credit card was a U.S credit card and Vayama was charging the card outside of the U.S. the bank declined the charge however Vayama notified me right away so the only problem I had with Vayama was that there security were very difficult to get thru and I had to make several attempts to finally get it thru,Bottom line is that Vayama is not the best travel Agency to go thru and there are much better thought 1 company owns at least 7 of them therefore creating a monopoly.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
20,735 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Beware of Kayak and Vayama

"1 company owns at least 7 of them therefore creating a monopoly."

Care to expand on that statement?

Edited: 03 January 2018, 17:57
Manila
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
45. Re: Beware of Kayak and Vayama

Sure,How about you check and see how many Companys are owned by Expedia including,Orbitz,Travelvelocity,Hot Wire,Trip Advisor and more!

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
20,735 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Beware of Kayak and Vayama

Oh, how wrong you are. Trip Advisor is a public company and owns several other companies.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/TripAdvisor

And, yes, Expedia do have a large stable of subsidiaries, but Vayama has nothing to do with them:

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Expedia,_Inc.

There are plenty of other choices. Have you tried eDreams, Opodo, Kissandfly, CheapOair, Justfly, Kiwi, Bravofly, Flighthub, Gotogate, ASAPtickets ..... and the list goes on.

Or you could do what most of us do - book direct with the airlines.

Manila
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
47. Re: Beware of Kayak and Vayama

If you read my original post again you will see that I NEVER SAID that Vayama has anything to do with Expedia and also you need to check you're facts and see that Expedia and Trip Advisor ARE SISTER COMPANYS.

Manila
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
48. Re: Beware of Kayak and Vayama

I can bet you any amount of money that when you book direct with the airlines then you WILL pay more and if most of us do that then why are so many Travel companys in Business? You really are a know it all are you not?

Dallas, Texas
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
49. Re: Beware of Kayak and Vayama

Vayama stinks. They took my money and never got a letter confirming. Every time I called the tell me to call back in 6 hours. Asked for supervisor never got one. Told me they would call back.... never did. 2 days later asked for my money back and they said it would be in 5 days ! wTF. So to Sam, Sandra, Henry and Joe. I am telling everyone!!

Good luck

Manila
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
50. Re: Beware of Kayak and Vayama

I Just found out that Vayama was owned by Price Line,How do you like that?

Reply to: Beware of Kayak and Vayama
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted