We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone booked air tickets through via.com?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
21 posts
18 reviews
Has anyone booked air tickets through via.com?

I was searching sky scanner for tickets SIN-Hangzhou. PVG-SIN and saw really cheap prices offered by via.com,the link being provided on sky scanner website. Later,looking at via.com reviews website all I saw were terribly alarming comments like fraud, dishonest etc. Has anyone had any experience with them?

134 replies to this topic
1. Re: Has anyone booked air tickets through via.com?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 December 2017, 09:34

Powell River, Canada
Level Contributor
720 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Has anyone booked air tickets through via.com?

You have already determined there are 'terribly alarming comments like fraud, dishonest etc.'

Why would you even ask any further questions or contemplate dealing with them??

Phoenix, Arizona...
Level Contributor
245 posts
3. Re: Has anyone booked air tickets through via.com?

I am in the trip planning stages, and after a lot of reading here I came to the conclusion the best way is to use Google Flights and/or SkyScanner to find best flights & dates, then book directly with the airline. I have found no compelling reason at all to use a 3rd party site.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: Has anyone booked air tickets through via.com?

Airline, airline, airline, airline.

Always book with the airline.

This comes with the added bonus of that if anything changes or goes wrong, you are dealing directly with the airline yourself.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
16,064 posts
16 reviews
5. Re: Has anyone booked air tickets through via.com?

"Has anyone had any experience with them?"

Yes, all the people who wrote those terribly alarming reviews have.

Edited: 07 March 2016, 08:28
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,603 posts
149 reviews
6. Re: Has anyone booked air tickets through via.com?

If I said my experience has been excellent , would that convince you to buy. How about I ask 2 buddies to say the same thing.

SMH

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
52,719 posts
1,769 reviews
7. Re: Has anyone booked air tickets through via.com?

<<Has anyone had any experience with them?>>

Recently, a person replied to a very long thread (say about 350 posts), where everyone pointed out that they had been scammed, and where the prices were always much higher, than originally quoted, surfacing only AFTER folk had paid money. That poster claimed to have read all 350 negative posts, and asked, "hasn't at least one person had a good experience with _____ ? Their prices are too good for me to pass up."

Apparently, at least for that poster, one positive would outweigh 350 negatives, because of the lure of a possibly cheap ticket. The draw is very strong.

Good luck to the OP, and maybe you will be the first to write a glowing review?

Hunt

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
72,667 posts
476 reviews
8. Re: Has anyone booked air tickets through via.com?

Weren't the terribly alarming comments enough to put you off, GeorgeTiny?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
21 posts
18 reviews
9. Re: Has anyone booked air tickets through via.com?

I have booked a pair of tickets through via.com. (I can almost hear the chorus of disbelief from you guys.)

Not knowing which airline had an open jaw SIN-HGH PVG-SIN schedule, I searched on Skyscanner, my first time using it and it is also the only flight search engine I know of, having come across its name in various publications.

Skyscanner came out with 5 pages of flights( Business Class, which I specified ) to choose from.I found the timing from Cathay Pacific to be suitable and 2 prices were shown 1.via.com . S $1643

2.e-bookers S $5082 or GB 2594 pounds.

I have never heard of these two companies.

I then checked Cathay Pacifics website for the same flight arrangements and the price quoted was S$5099.

I did not know 3rd party facilitators are to be avoided like the plague. Does this apply to airline tickets only? I've booked hotel rooms through agoda, expedia, kaligo,hotels.com and have never had any problems. I'm sure many of you have too. Of course,I would have preferred to book with hotels direct, but these hotel booking sites have various inducements.

So, not having encountered any bad experiences with these big name hotel booking sites, and Skyscanner being similarly prominent in name,was credible in my mind. And I assumed Skyscanner would have vetted service providers on their links.

I of course chose via.com, despite feeling incredulous about the difference in price and which ,after the transaction, I mentioned to my wife. And thats when the problems started.

She asked if I had checked out via.com. So I googled via.com reviews and then the sinking feeling came . I'd been scammed. Greenhorn, naive ,idiotic. It was panic stations now, thinking of how to salvage the situation. I called Citibank to cancel the transaction, but the concierge said I had to get via.com to do it. I e-mailed via.com and they said there will be a $425 charge per ticket.

And this was when I posted on TA, hoping to get some ideas.

Could hardly sleep what was left of the night, and in the morning, I called Cathay Pacific

giving the E ticket numbers . And what do you know ,the staff said that the tickets were genuine ! As for the price, she said that there was an on-going price promotion !

Will update mid June.

The strange thing about via.com reviews site is that all the responders are from India.

No international visitors at all. I still find this whole episode incredible.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
72,667 posts
476 reviews
10. Re: Has anyone booked air tickets through via.com?

I wish you good luck, and I don't want scaremonger, but there is plenty of time for something to go wrong before you fly.

Reply to: Has anyone booked air tickets through via.com?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted