We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hopper App - is it trustworthy??!

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hopper App - is it trustworthy??!

I've already asked a similar question on here and, oddly, not had a response. So I'm trying again in the hope that this time someone in the know will see this.

I'm looking at flights via all sorts of searches including directly through the airlines themselves. The best deals at the moment, though, seem to be on hopper.com iOS app.

But I'm worried that it's just another third party ticketing agent and that if I buy through it I'll be opening myself up to all the potential problems that an be associated with such purchases.

What do people think? Once we've bought will the price stay the same? Are the deals on Hopper coming direct from the airlines? One thing that concerns me is, unlike with Skyscanner, it's not made clear on the app exactly where each deal has come from....

Help me, please! I need to get these flights booked but am scared to without being fully in the know!

181 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,870 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hopper App - is it trustworthy??!

The reason you're not seeing any reviews is that (a) this is a very new company, and (b) they only provide a search via their app - there's no web search capability - which means people have to download it and check it out. I may try it if I have time tomorrow. That worries me a little, as why wouldn't they add a web search?

As for their website, they appear to be a legit startup. Here's their "About Us" page, and people can delve into it and check whether their staff exist or not. Assuming they are legit, whether that means they're any good is another matter.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hopper App - is it trustworthy??!

Thanks for responding! :)

I just wish I knew who I was booking with... Surely some people on here must have used it by now?

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hopper App - is it trustworthy??!

I just wish I knew who I was booking with...

=================

Trouble is you don't. Susie this is a straight gamble and no one knows how risk averse you are. Only you do. You have to weigh up whether the perceived saving of Hopper over the airline direct is worth the risk.

How much are you saving per ticket?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,223 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hopper App - is it trustworthy??!

The advice always given on this forum is to book direct with the airline rather than with a doubtful online agency.

If any web site is offering tickets significantly cheaper than the airline, then there is a strong possibility that the site is a scam of some kind.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hopper App - is it trustworthy??!

Well, one one-way journey is £718.92 on the airline's own website and £653 through Hopper... That's not my exact trip, but I just wanted to compare like with like.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,518 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hopper App - is it trustworthy??!

I think this is the relevant paragraph from their Terms of Use.

<Third-Party Links, Sites, and Services>

"Our Products may contain links to third-party websites, advertisers, services, special offers, or other events or activities that are not owned or controlled by Hopper. We do not endorse or assume any responsibility for any such third-party sites, information, materials, products, or services. If you access any third party website, service, or content from Hopper, you do so at your own risk and you agree that Hopper will have no liability arising from your use of or access to any third-party website, service, or content."

Edited: 12 February 2016, 00:40
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,048 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hopper App - is it trustworthy??!

Apple voted it their best travel app if that skews your opinion

cntraveler.com/stories/2015-12-18/this-is-th…

There are some reviews on the App Store site and on Google Play. Not many though

https:/…id904052407

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details…

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,833 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hopper App - is it trustworthy??!

I try to be an early adopter and downloaded the app. I personally did not find the app to be useful and worth using so it was deleted. fwiw

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,048 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hopper App - is it trustworthy??!

OK so I downloaded it and tried a dummy booking for March 17 - 21 AMS - EDI. Cheapest fare on Hopper was £121. Went to Google flights and it was £105 for the cheapest flights those dates. Also Hopper didn't bring up Easyjet flights. Only KLM and EZY fly this route so not too much choice. Easyjet are £82. Both these prices were live from the respective airlines sites not a third party. So does not instil confidence in the app really.

I tried to log in via facebook and it wanted to send a verification message to my phone. Only thing was it asked for the number but set the country code to +44 and I couldn't change it so I'd either have to hunt my UK phone out and probably charge it or set up a login. Not sure I'll bother.

10. Re: Hopper App - is it trustworthy??!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 February 2016, 03:35

Reply to: Hopper App - is it trustworthy??!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted