We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit Visa

Greater...
4 posts
Save Topic
Transit Visa

I have been searching all avenues for a direct confirmation on whether I will need a direct airside transit visa, and seem nowhere nearer to an answer as a week ago.

Here are the stats: SA citizen with SA passport , valid US visa, traveling on BA from ORT to JFK, 8 hrs layover at Heathrow, not intending to leave airport, checking bag through to JFK, will have to change from terminal 5 to 3.

Most info seems contradicting, or explains I might be exempt, but then it is at the customs officer's discretion.

Has any of you been in this situation lately? What was the outcome?

Thanks in advance

33 replies to this topic
Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transit Visa

Is this all one ticket? Meaning your bag is transferred through from JNB (not ORT) to JFK? If so, the UK government page I found states this when I plug in South African passport + transit + not crossing a UK border:

You’ll need a visa to pass through the UK in transit (unless you’re exempt)

You should apply for a Direct Airside Transit visa if you arrive in the UK on a flight and leave again without passing through immigration control.

Exemptions

You don’t need a visa if you have one of the following:

a visa for Canada, New Zealand, Australia or the USA (this can be used for travel to any country)

a residence permit issued by Australia or New Zealand

you have a common format residence permit issued by an European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland

a resident permit issued by Canada after 28 June 2002

a uniform format category D visa for entry into a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland

an Irish biometric visa

a Schengen Approved Destination Scheme (ADS) group tourism visa where the holder is travelling to to the Schengen country that issued the visa

a flight ticket from the Schengen area, if you can prove that you entered the Schengen area in the previous 30 days on the basis of a valid Schengen ADS visa

a valid USA I-551 Temporary Immigrant visa issued by the USA (a wet-ink stamp version will not be accepted)

a valid USA permanent residence card issued by the USA on or after 21 April 1998

an expired USA I-551 Permanent Residence card issued by the USA on or after 21 April 1998, with a valid I-797 letter authorising extension

a valid standalone US Immigration Form 155A/155B issued by the USA (attached to a sealed brown envelope)

All visas and residence permits must be valid.

Greater...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transit Visa

Thank you for the response and correction. I also found that information of the UK.gov website, however I do have the U.S. Visa, a ticket with end destination US and a layover less than 24hrs. This should mean I am in the clear.

BA also said I should not need a visa, however I should not take it as an absolute.

I am traveling on a tight budget and really do not want to spend the extra money if it will be a waste.

Was hoping to hear from someone that has gone through a similar situation recently.

Thanks

Edited: 09 September 2015, 05:09
Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transit Visa

How about calling up the UK Embassy or a consulate in Johannesburg or Pretoria if you're still uneasy?

Edited: 09 September 2015, 05:10
Greater...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Transit Visa

Oh yes, all 1 ticket,

Greater...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transit Visa

I have, they do not answer any visa related questions, as they work through a 3rd party processing centre. These agents require you to give your credit card details before making inquires and they have charges of up to USD 75.

9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Transit Visa

i have also the same problem right now.

Can someone help me. i no need to change the terminal not even airport.

i have 7 hours connection time. still i need UK visa?

9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Transit Visa

traveling form Venice to Hyderabad via London.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,839 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transit Visa

Nani,

Are you also on a SA passport?

9 posts
Save Reply