We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pre-buying extra baggage allowance?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
314 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
pre-buying extra baggage allowance?

hi all,

just a curious question more than anything in that why don't full service airlines allow you to buy extra baggage allowance at time of booking at a set rate up front.seems to me that it would be a win win for everyone if you could purchase extra on top of your free allowance.i haven't been on a lot of different airlines but maybe there are some that allow you to do it.

if you use a budget airline you can purchase extra or do they prefer to get higher excess baggage fees?

cheers all

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pre-buying extra baggage allowance?

Give them time...they will catch up.

Full service have already started attaching weights to their tickets, in days of old you could cart as much as you wanted free of charge.

With LCC carriers they are trying to remove the cost of handling people at the airport which includes baggage handling. Hence the pay for your luggage upfront.

Use carry on only, you pay for no baggage you are rewarded (cheaper fare).

Most people would tend to buy more than their requirement for fear of the hefty excess charges at the airport, so the airline earns more without doing anything except put the thought into the customers mind.

In time full service carriers will operate the same as LCC's the only benefit will be the seats 1st, Business, Premium economy and economy

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,160 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pre-buying extra baggage allowance?

Some airlines do some don't. The ones that cover my area all do: SAS, BA and KLM.

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pre-buying extra baggage allowance?

I've done that with KLM. It wasn't extra kilos but 1 extra bag with 23kg. I don't remember the cost but was quite cheap.

Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
5,340 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: pre-buying extra baggage allowance?

I paid 100 USD for the right to a 2nd suitcase with Air France ( long haul flight: Paris to Buenos Aires) in July this year.

Edited: 22 September 2012, 22:25
5. Re: pre-buying extra baggage allowance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2013, 21:17