We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transit in Sydney

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
111 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
transit in Sydney

travelling from Auckland to Los Angeles and transiting in Sydney for 7 hours. (on a NZ passport so don't need a visa)

Can I go thru immigration/security and leave the airport? I will have boarding pass for Sydney- Los Angeles.

Will I have to pay the sydney airport tax?

How long before flight do I need to come back through immigration?

Can you see any problems with doing this?

thanks

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transit in Sydney

If you have 7 hours, it would be enough to catch a train or taxi into the city.

I have no idea about taxes... hopefully someone can help you there.

Just make sure you have plenty of time to go through security and immigration for your flight to LAX.

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transit in Sydney

Will I have to pay the sydney airport tax?

You are considered a transit for 72 hours so airport tax should not apply, you have your onward ticket and boarding pass.

However you are not permitted to leave the airport without a Transit Visa so if you want to go into town you will require one

www.immi.gov.au/visitors/transit/no-visa.htm

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transit in Sydney

NZ citizens get visa automatically on arrival and so don't need to apply for one. You should be just fine.

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transit in Sydney

That is what I thought but the Website is not really clear on that they have an "and" in their criteria followed by "remain in the transit lounge at an airport"

Edited: 20 September 2012, 12:05
Queensland
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transit in Sydney

You will be fine to enter Australia for 7 hours as long as you don't require a visa or you actually have one. The only issue I see is the time it will take you to "enter" Australia, immigration and customs queues can be long on arrival and departing can also be long, especially in Sydney. Take that time into consideration and be back at the airport about 90 mins before departure to allow you to pass through without stress. I would assume your taxes are already paid as you are in transit.

Edited: 20 September 2012, 13:50
australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transit in Sydney

Transit passengers do not pay departure tax ( I think that is what the OP is referring to)

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transit in Sydney

To make sure you get through immigration and customs as quickly as possible, make sure you don;t have anything that requires quarantine checks-- eg food. Sometimes if it's busy and you haven't anything to declare, they might wave you through or do a quick detector dog sniff of your luggage and then let you go. My experience, anyway... I know they do it for a reason but do make sure you don't have anything on you that could make the arrival process that much more of a headache, so you're on your way as soon as possible. I think NZers also have quicker immigration because they can go through the Australian citizen channel. Sometimes the lines for non-AU/NZ citizens are interminably long.

8. Re: transit in Sydney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 11:18