We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United 767-300 international overhead storage?

Abbotsford...
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Topic
United 767-300 international overhead storage?

I guess this might be a silly question, but I thought I’d ask anyway. I’m flying ORD to LHR in May for a two week period. I generally only use a carry on and just stop at a Laundromat to wash my clothes a couple times during my trip (or in my bathroom sink). My flight will be on a United 767-300 and I have seat 21B reserved (aisle seat in E+). I have read on here that United boards economy from back to front (and aisle seats board last) and that the 767-300 has less overhead storage. I’m just wondering if you find it common when sitting close to the front of E+ on international flights that you have to gate check your bag? Also, if you do gate check your bag, is there a chance it can get lost? I normally don’t carry an extra change of clothes in my handbag/personal item, but maybe I should just to be on the safe side? Or instead of using a carry on at all, should I simply use a slightly larger bag and check it all the way through so I don’t have to wash clothes during my trip – what are the chances it will get lost if I check it right away (I have a United Express flight from CWA connecting in ORD)? Every time I’ve flown in the past on the way home my luggage gets lost for a day or so, so I’m slightly concerned that I’ll have to wear dirty clothes for a couple days if I check it on the way there…Thanks!

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
596 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: United 767-300 international overhead storage?

I've taken a 767 transatlantic flight on United a number of times and I haven't noticed the bins filling up. I usually check my bag and just bring a daypack on board. Because United doesn't charge a fee for the first checked bag on international flights, I think this helps to keep the bins from filling up.

However, I always suggest that you pack defensively in case you have to gate check. Put a change of clothes and any other essentials (e.g. meds) in a separate bag inside your suitcase near the top. If for some reason you have to gate check, you can always open up your bag, quickly pull out the essentials and gate check.

I've had to gate check many times on domestic flights, but so far none of my gate checked bags have been lost. If you do have to gate check, always ask where you will pick up your bag. Sometimes you pick up the bag on the jet bridge and some airlines send the gate checked bags to the carousel.

Edited: 19 September 2012, 02:39
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United 767-300 international overhead storage?

Overhead bin space on this plane is smaller than some of the others. You will find people cramming their bags in sideways to make them fit, which takes up lots of room.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
520 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: United 767-300 international overhead storage?

Two weeks ago we flew ORD to BRU on United...I had seat 21 A. We wère told that the bins on the outside walls were for the wheeled bags as they would not fit in the inside bins. It was a full flight and there were a lot of those bags....we only had backpacks on board as we checked our other bags. Even though we were in boarding group 4...it was hard to find Ny bin space...and the FAs were asking that we stow backpacks and such under the seat.

We are returning home tomorrow on the same air craft...767-300 and I am wondering if the same crush will happen.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
102 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: United 767-300 international overhead storage?

I took one a few months ago and the overhead space is smaller than on most other planes. If you are in boarding group 5 or higher, you can gate check your bag for free. If not, you may have a problem. Pack your absolute flight essentials in a small bag that you can get under your seat. That way if you have to gate check your roll aboard, you'll still be ok.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,564 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: United 767-300 international overhead storage?

Hi,

I'm not the biggest fan of the original design OHB units on the B767.. No so much due to their net size, but more to the design..

On most cabins, the OHB units hydraulic actuator is INSIDE the OHB unit and not on the outside.. like the B777 where it's outside.. By having it inside makes it hard(er) to fit certain types of sizes of bags as you kind of have to work "around' those hydraulic units..

if you look at this photo of a B767 typical bin, you'll see the actuator inside.. and a metal bracket that acts as a stabilizer as well..

because-we-can.net/Because_We_Can/Journals/P…

... Now if you look at what's on the B777 for example, when the actuator is put outside of the bin unit, now ALL the space becomes useable..

…picturetrail.com/VOL359/…327485486.jpg

While the B777 unit is larger than the 767 unit, my issues is that the smaller 767 unit is further exacerbated by that bracket and hydraulic which means not all of the interior space is useable.

Travel Safe,

San Diego...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: United 767-300 international overhead storage?

I can't stand the 767-300! The fact that they designed the overhead bins to force people to turn their carry-on luggages sideways to fit in them is extremely annoying! This is the case both on the middle seat overheads and the outside seat overheads. Most aircraft outside overhead compartments allow you to store your carry-ons fitting them longways back to front, rather than sideways, so you can fit like 3 of them in each compartment, instead of just ONE in each compartment.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,482 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: United 767-300 international overhead storage?

Sigh! Necroposting on a 11 month old dormant thread.

8. Re: United 767-300 international overhead storage?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2014, 14:17