We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jetstar flight changes

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Jetstar flight changes

Just wondering if anyone else has had the experience recently of Jetstar making numerous changes to scheduled domestic flights? I have had a booking I made in January changed a total of three times with the only explanation being that the schedule change was 'unavoidable'. Unfortunately for myself and partner these unavoidable changes included a last minute reschedule to our connecting flight from Sydney to Adelaide which resulted in us missing our flight. We only received email confirmation of the change while we were in transit at KL and had no opportunity to contact Jetstar to arrange another flight as the reschedule left us with only an hour to navigate customs and change terminals. We contacted Jetstar as soon as we hit the ground in the Sydney but to no avail. The flight was closed and we were offered an alternative flight some seven hours later leaving us stranded and exhausted with children waiting for us at the other end of our journey. Again no explanation from Jetstar, just an apology from the customer service officer who was lovely and of course it was in no way her fault we had been stuffed around. It makes me wary of traveling with them again if they are so blasé about chopping and changing their schedules with no thought for the sometimes huge inconvenience to passengers. I expect delays and hiccups now and then from LCCs and I am fine with it...but this was simply not good enough.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jetstar flight changes

jetstar is a point to point airline.

if u want to fly cheap u take the risk of being inconvenienced.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
2,822 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jetstar flight changes

Jetstar and other domestic airlines, generally change their schedules when Daylight saving starts/finish as some states and territories do not have daylight saving. Generally the schedule times do not change for the states using daylight saving but do so for the other places. Also when passenger loads change flights are added/cancelled like more flights to the Gold Coast and Darwin during the winter month as that is where the tourists are going. But with these changes you are notified well in advance.

Sometimes domestic flights have been cancelled a short notice, as the plane has been delayed overseas (Bali or Singapore) and the crew would exceed their allowable hours if they flew back at the scheduled time so the flight from say Bali leaves then after the crew have had their allowed sleep time. As the plane would have been then on flying to Australian domestic airports, those flights that would have used that plane, would be cancelled.

Edited: 14 August 2012, 16:55
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,564 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jetstar flight changes

Hi,

I'll say this-- and it's not necessarily reflective to Jetstar exclusively..

Airlines today are much, much more likely to make very quick and short-term duration changes to their schedules as market conditions dictate..

Gone are the days when they put out one seasonal schedule and flew it exactly that way "come hell or high water"... That's just not the economic reality today..

these days, airlines can, and do, make all kinds of changes-- be that altering departure times, adding or reducing flight frequency, using larger or smaller aircraft, etc... all in an effort to best match seats available to the current market demand.

Yes, it does have a passenger impact.. I don't think anyone will disagree with that.. but the only real way to manage this so as to allow the airlines to commit to fly only what they know to be profitable AND to insure you don't endure all kinds of changes, is for the carriers to operate with and publish only a short-term timetable that goes out a few months at best or less.. and doing so just isn't workable from an long-term fleet and cost/revenue analysis basis-- and for many passengers, that would also wreck havoc with fare issues like long advance purchase fares versus walk-up fares.

It may *appear* to be "blasé" but unless there was some form of a same-day or similar operational issue (delayed aircraft, mechanical issue, weather event) that then forced the change, the reality is that it's mostly likely due to their business need to change their flying to better match what people are really buying..

Travel Safe,

4. Re: Jetstar flight changes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 07:16