We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Airlines #1 for lost luggage

S J
Ubud, Indonesia
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
American Airlines #1 for lost luggage

We live at www.casamojanda.com in Ecuador and have had numerous guests with bad lost luggage experiences flying into Quito with flights orginating in Miami the worst. When my nephew arrived a few days ago he was one among many with lost luggage ad was told that when it arrived it would be delivered here, 2 hours north. My cell recorded 47 calls made to the local AA office, most with unhelpful recordings until finally reached one person who said we would have to drive back to pick it up in person. Unable to get satisfaction from the US AA office or to get through again we were forced to hire someone to drive back to get luggage for us. Very bad yet common AA experience - an airline to be avoided! Other guests have had similar experiences with AA.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,369 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American Airlines #1 for lost luggage

S J

I've lost a bag on AA before, but was fully reimbursed for bag and its contents by AA's HQ in Dallas. No reason to avoid them... it can happen at any airline.

But to each, their own...

Regards

Edited: 14 April 2012, 01:36
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
48,849 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: American Airlines #1 for lost luggage

Sounds more like an airport problem than AA? I never had problems with lost luggage on AA before within the US.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,282 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: American Airlines #1 for lost luggage

Hi,

That's ugly... having to call that many times.. The other part is their reluctance to deliver it to you..

In *most* cases when it's the airlines controllable fault for delay they will bear the costs to delivery it your residence or hotel providing there are delivery options available.

I think that if you step back and look at it, it kind of makes sense, that you report a commonality with MIA departures, and I think this more a refection of the fact that that MIA is American's principle hub for UIO-bound passengers.. so to a degree, nearly everyone going to UIO on American, passes thru MIA..

Therefore, I'd kind of expect a higher incident rate and not so sure it's a direct result of something occurring at MIA itself or a reflection of the 'law of large numbers" taking hold.

This would be akin to saying "my bags get lost when I fly DL out of Atlanta" or "My bags get lost when flying United out of Chicago" As these are the the two carriers big hubs, I'd expect to hear more reports from these hub cities than I would from smaller hub cities like Cincinnati (CVG) or Cleveland (CLE).

The part about not delivering the bag does still leave me wondering why??

I do know that there ARE some limited cases, where due to local Customs laws, the actual baggage owner must physically reclaim their bag and present it to Customs for inspection and clearance... So if that's the case, then I'd understand that-- but I'd expect they TELL you that this is the reason you need to come and get it yourself.

As to the claim about American being #1 in terms of baggage issues....

The DOT publishes official accounting of these cases, as well as on-time performance, denied boarding and a few other airline operational metrics.

While to many perhaps it might appear to be the same thing, the reality is that American AIRLINES and American EAGLE are two very distinctly separate business entities..

Yes, they are both wholly owned by the same parent company, that being AMR, but each has their own management structure (CEO's, CFO's, etc), fleet, employee pool, and also operates under separate FAA licenses (SIMA586A for Eagle and AALA025A for American Airlines)

As such, the DOT lists their performance individually, not collectively.

Flying MIA to UIO, that would be on American AIRLINES as it does not appear that EAGLE operates into any South American port-- Caribbean and Mexico yes, but not South America.

The April 2012 DOT baggage reports indicate that the monthly industry average* was 2.64 cases per every 1,000 passengers carried..

(Note: Average among the top 15 US registered carriers)

American EAGLE was in fact last.. #15...at 5.69 cases per 1,000... BUT. American AIRLINES-- the entity you actually fly to Quito-- came in at 2.62 cases per every 1,000 passengers.. and I'd note that for the April 2012 reporting period, this is in fact BETTER than the industry average.

DOT April 2012:

…dot.gov/reports/2012/April/2012AprilATCR.pdf

Therefore, I'd have to say that yes, EAGLE is #1 for lost luggage... BUT, American AIRLINES is actually better than the overall industry... and to UIO, that's who you fly... and to an extent, I;d reasonably think, whose performance matters the most to me as the passenger.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 14 April 2012, 02:18
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,244 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: American Airlines #1 for lost luggage

'Lost luggage' is that which is never seen again. Delayed bags are another matter entirely, with your nephew's bag being delayed and not lost.

It is unfortunate that you had to make so many phone calls and travel to collect the bag, but that it did arrive is a good result if achieved in a roundabout way.

Baggage delay can happen because of airline issues or pax issues. If someone arrives a few minutes before check in closes or allows the minimum connection time plus five minutes, they take a risk that their bag may not make the journey with them. If a flight is delayed and a generous connection time is made smaller then that's an airline matter, as handlers can only process so many bags in a short time.

S J
Ubud, Indonesia
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: American Airlines #1 for lost luggage

1. I see 9 airlines flying out of MIA with Quito destinations yet it seems like baggage problems always involve them, at least in recent years.

2. AA personnel handling such problems in Quito are grossly inadequate. Almost impossible to reach a person (47 tries this time) and when we do the information is typically inadequate or wrong. They are not helpful. Requests was simple. They said they would deliver then did not. In the past at least they did that.

3. Contacting AA baggage complaint people in the US was not helpful. They replied with a form that was not appropriate and with a link that did not work.

4. Although there seemed to be plenty of connection time (1 1/2 hrs), sufficient time for connections should not be responsibility of passengers and is something programmed into airline computers (at least with United).

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: American Airlines #1 for lost luggage

One more example: Yesterday my suitcase went missing on my American Airline flight from Seattle to New York via Dallas, Texas, and it is not "located" yet, so I made several calls to their call center. While some of their operators stonewalled all my requests for further information, others went out of their way to research on my behalf. Their result so far: my suitcase allegedly arrived at my destination point at ten in the morning today. However, even some eleven hours later, at eleven in the evening, it is still not "located" within my destination airport and this is all they know for now.

7. Re: American Airlines #1 for lost luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 February 2014, 11:05
8. Re: American Airlines #1 for lost luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2013, 20:17