We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

It's a mystery to me....

uk
Level Contributor
221 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
It's a mystery to me....

...why Qantas are charging $2335AUD for a round trip flight Perth-London next March and for the same dates London-Perth £1100GBP.

(Todays inter-bank exchange rate is £1/$1.54.)

I must be missing something--any ideas out there??

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,034 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: It's a mystery to me....

More people want to travel from Perth to London than the other way around. Mystery solved :)

Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: It's a mystery to me....

Wow, I would check out the price comparison websites to see if something cheaper comes up.

uk
Level Contributor
221 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: It's a mystery to me....

So----supply/demand stuff? More demand Perth/London----don't think it can be that simple. Every time I have flown London/Perth (AIrbus 380) the plane was completely full so plenty of demand from this end.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,034 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: It's a mystery to me....

You're missing the point. How many of the passengers on the fully booked flight to Perth were Aussies going back home rather than Brits visiting? If the former, the demand is likely higher from Perth to London than vice versa.

You'll find the same discrepancy on many routes. My parents-in-laws are in Toulouse and it's a lot cheaper for them to visit Edinburgh than it is for us to visit Toulouse. I fully expect this is due to more Brits wanting to go to the south of France than the other way around.

Edited: 06 April 2012, 02:33
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,616 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: It's a mystery to me....

Hi,

Totally agree with Lex.. While A to B may appear to be the exact same as B to A in an operational sense.. when you look at it, they can be, and probably are, VERY different in terms of the market demographics and therefore pricing dynamics... and it's these factors that play heavily into fare calculations.

Travel Safe,

uk
Level Contributor
221 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: It's a mystery to me....

So, with that theory in mind, will B to A (Perth/London) always be way more expensive ( demographic/higher disposable incomes) than A to B ( London to Perth)?

BBC Watchdog tried last night, but failed IMO, to shed light on airline pricing policies.

My interest is in the fact that my son is off there for over a year----therefore a UK price level one way ticket out is around 580GBP--no point in getting round trip as only valid for 12 months. Return leg will cost 1200+AUD which comes to approx 850GBP.

Not an easily understood situation----no wonder the BBC reporter threw her hands in the air and walked off camera in frustration!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,034 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: It's a mystery to me....

"So, with that theory in mind, will B to A (Perth/London) always be way more expensive ( demographic/higher disposable incomes) than A to B ( London to Perth)?"

Not necessarily. Things like time of year might also play a role.

uk
Level Contributor
221 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: It's a mystery to me....

I don't think there is ever a cheap time of year to fly to OZ. Xmas is Xmas, Easter is Easter and their low season is the start of our high season........i just have to monitor every few days I suppose.

La Foye de Vinax
Level Contributor
100 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: It's a mystery to me....

Which airline site were you looking on? QANTAS or BA. I have often found cheaper fares looking on the different sites that fly the route. Hope this makes sense!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,273 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: It's a mystery to me....

Airlines charge what passengers are willing to pay, not what it costs to cover the price of flying the aircraft. If UK-Aus is more popular at the time of year you're looking to travel chances are the fares will be higher in that direction than Aus-UK.