We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson Select your seat issues

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Thomson Select your seat issues

I am due to fly into Cancun on the 24th May with Thomson. We have paid extra to book our seats in advance but have been unable to do so online. Having rung them numerous times over the past 3 weeks have been fobbed off with 'we're having technical issues' each time. Really??! how crap are their technical team if in 3 weeks they cant fix these' technical issues'!!!

Is anyone else having this issue or is it just me?!

89 replies to this topic
Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
35,633 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomson Select your seat issues

A few people on various forums have mentioned they've had problems. According to one poster who spoke to the airline, it is something to do with them changing their flight numbers.

Llangollen, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomson Select your seat issues

We have had the same issue. Went into a travel agents who reserved our seats for us, which clearly defeats the object! Have a great time in Mexico!

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
39,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomson Select your seat issues

I am one of those people that have been in constant touch with the airline and they told me there were many flights both short and long haul and several airports with passengers having difficulties pre booking their seats, and yes its all down to our flight numbers having to be changed.....they also said the technicians were finding the problem more challenging than they originally thought but they’re working hard to resolve the problem. At this moment in time they’re unable to give me a date of when the seating plans will become available for us to pre book our seats over the phone or when the seating plans will be put online........I had paid for my extra legroom seating when I booked my holiday and have been waiting now for over a month now for the issue to be solved as my date of departure is May 18th.

I shall be contacting them again first thing Monday morning to see if they have any updates........the one consolation is it affects everyone on each of the flights so we will all have the same chance of selecting our seats at the same time once the seat plans goes live for our flights.

Angie.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomson Select your seat issues

Finally got a proper answer instead of just 'technical issues'!

Received this from Thomson this afternoon (only took 8 phone calls and 2 emails!)

'I have sat down with the Airline Advisor this morning to see what the issue is with your flight plan. I have been advised that when the loaded all of Summer 2012 flight plans onto the system back in January several of the flight numbers from then had changed. When changing the flight numbers it corrupted the file and is now affecting approximately 27,000 passengers from selecting their seats.

They are currently fixing this with Helpdesk Technical in date order and priority. I have been informed that flight plans will be amended by the time you travel, as the information off the flight extras system feeds to check-in at the airport. Therefore needs to be resolved before you travel.

I am sorry for any inconvenience this has caused, however I must point out that when you pay for reserved seating you pay to be guaranteed to be sat together, the select your seat service is a free service we offer.

I have been told by the airline team that it would not benefit customers to call as we may not have updated information for you and it is an inconvenience to you to pay for the call. They have advised to keep checking the site to see when the plan is fixed and open.

Any sorry for any inconvenience caused. Please bear with us whilst we try to resolve the matter. If you require any further assistance, feel free to contact me back.'

Now why couldn't they have just said that in the 1st place!

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomson Select your seat issues

No wonder the technicians were finding the problem more challenging than they originally thought with those files corrupted and 27,000 passengers affected by this.........oh well I guess we will just have to play the waiting game !!

Angie.

Manchester
Level Contributor
377 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomson Select your seat issues

Hi all,

My husband and i are flying to Cancun on 11th June, i was able to select our seats on the 27th March, i set my alarm clock for midnight and booked my seats at about 12:06am got 4a and 4b outbound and 3a and 3b inbound.

Looks like i was lucky, hope everyone gets the seats they want.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thomson Select your seat issues

I have just this minute had a phone call they have sorted the problem with my flight and my seating plan goes live tomorrow, so I shall be keeping my fingers crossed and will be logging on at midnight tonight........wish me luck folks :)

Angie.

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thomson Select your seat issues

Hi. I had already selected my Thomson seat successfully a week or so ago

( Manch -Samos 24 May) so am I OK or has it affected previous seat selections?

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Thomson Select your seat issues

Creteaholic

I dont think all flights have been affected, think it is only the flights that have had their number changed, so if yours hasnt changed you should be ok

Angie

At least you finally getting a chance to book I'm hoping we will soon too! Every time I see my 5 yr old neice she wants to know if her window seat is booked! Good luck!

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thomson Select your seat issues

Thanks for that!

I haven't had any alerts but will check tomorrow. I got really good seats so will be annoyed if I have to re-do it.

Reply to: Thomson Select your seat issues
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted