We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baggage Pooling

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Baggage Pooling

Good morning all

Would just like to clarify something, if poss, on behalf of some friends.

They are flying with Ryanair and originally taking just hand luggage. They are now thinking of taking a 15 kg suitcase between them but are hazy about the definition of "pooling". My understanding is that they can take the one 15kg case packed with both their clothes rather than a 7.5kg case each.

They thought that "no pooling" meant that they could not share a case.

I would be grateful if anyone can clarify as I think I am right but as it wont be me paying for the mistake if I am wrong, I wanted to double check.

Also, does anyone know the allowed dimensions for a suitcase on Ryanair, or where we can find them on the website. We can both find hand luggage info but not cases.

Many thanks

Itik Itik

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,425 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baggage Pooling

You are correct. The pooling refers to people that check in two bags and put 20kg in one and 10kg in another. Even though that does not exceed the total weight allowance for two bags, it is nevertheless prohibited as each bag can weigh no more than 15kg.

Edited: 31 March 2012, 21:20
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,425 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baggage Pooling

Just to add, if they pay for one bag between them they can check in just that - *one* bag. If they show up with two bags they will have to pay a hefty charge, even if the two bags combined are less than 15kg.

Edited: 31 March 2012, 21:23
Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baggage Pooling

Thanks Lexexpress

Was beginning to doubt myself.

Was about to edit my post to add, does anyone know if they will need to pay another "admin" charge if they add a case to their exsisting booking or do they just get charged for the case.

Thanks again.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,425 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baggage Pooling

The admin fee isn't charged when adding items to the booking.

Radcliffe, United...
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baggage Pooling

just like lexe says ..we often use ryanair,we always carry hand luggage but also take a extra bag for hold baggage,between us all myself wife and daughter with extra items in as long as it dont go over 15 kg they will be fine..sharing 1 bag for the hold with both there clothes in

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baggage Pooling

Thanks again Lexexpress, you are a star.

Regards

Itik Itik

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Baggage Pooling

Thanks all

Any clues on hold baggage dimensions or where they are on website would be appreciated.

Cheers

Radcliffe, United...
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Baggage Pooling

found this one one of sites but not sure how true it is ,,we normally just take normal case what you can buy for hold luggage

airport-parking.tv/baggage_allowance_ryanair…

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Baggage Pooling

Thanks

Will check that. I know that the cases we use have been ok in the past but Ryanair do move the goalposts now and again so I want my pals to be spot on.

Radcliffe, United...
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Baggage Pooling

on ryanair terms and conditions

for health and safety reasons Ryanair does not accept for carriage any individual item exceeding 32 kilos or with combined dimensions of more than 81cms (height), 119cms (width) and 119cms (depth). This weight limit does not apply to mobility equipment.

so as long as you hold case is inside these dimensions you be fine