We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connection Times R/T JFK/Dublin/Paris

Trumbull...
Level Contributor
647 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Connection Times R/T JFK/Dublin/Paris

I have posted this question on both the Paris and Dublin forums, but thought I'd cover all my bases and post it here, as well.

I have not yet booked anything, but am looking at a R/T flight on Aer Lingus from JFK to Paris, with a connection in Dublin. The flight TO Paris has a 1 hour and 15 minute connection time in Dublin, which a couple of posters have said should be fine. The return flight, however, has either a 1 hour and 15 minute connection time, or the next flight which has a 6 hour and 5 minute connection time. Any other flights go way up in price, or take (I don't have the info in front of me right now), I believe, 17 hours (ouch!!) from NYC to Paris

They have told me that on the way home I would need to pre-clear customs and immigration in Dublin and needed at least 3 hours. Does this mean that on the flght to Paris we don't go through customs/immigration until Paris?

Does it look like the 6 hour connection is my best option?

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,201 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connection Times R/T JFK/Dublin/Paris

JFK to Paris you clear immigration in dublin,your bags will be checked through to Paris which is where you clear customs.In Dublin you take your hand luggage through immigration,reclear security and go to your gate for Paris.

On the return,you check your bags to JFK,clear security and fly to Dublin,where you need to reclaim your bags and proceed through US immigration and customs.1 hr 15 might be rather tight for this.Once you arrive in JFK you walk off to baggage reclaim like every other domestic flight.

I would go with the 6 hours.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,237 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connection Times R/T JFK/Dublin/Paris

Depends what time the flight is going out of Dublin as to whether you do US pre-clearance or not. Most but not all flights bound for the US have the pre-clearance, but the facility closes at some point in late afternoon and flights leaving DUB after that are treated as regular international arrivals.

I wouldn't take a connection that short with or without pre-clearance, unless I really didn't "have" to be at my destination timely.

Trumbull...
Level Contributor
647 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connection Times R/T JFK/Dublin/Paris

I made a mistake in my original post. The connection time going TO Paris has a 1 hour and 40 minute connection time, not 1hr and 15 min, but I guess this is not a problem. It looks like I would have no choice with the return flight but to take the one with the 6 hour connection. :((

Manchester
Level Contributor
169 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Connection Times R/T JFK/Dublin/Paris

Disagree.

If Aer Linus are willing to sell you a ticket on the shorter connection it must be doable, and if you don't make it I would have thought they would need to sort you out on the next flight. As far as I am aware pre-clearance in Dublin is far quicker than immigration in the US, and Dublin is a small airport. I would suggest speaking to Aer lingus and just be clear what the deal is if you miss it. I just don't see why they, or an agent would sell you a ticket on the shorter connection unless it was "legal"- who told you about the 3h rule?

Edited: 05 March 2012, 06:11
Trumbull...
Level Contributor
647 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connection Times R/T JFK/Dublin/Paris

The 3 hour suggestion was from someone on the Dublin board. I am very frustrated because all of the reasonably priced flights (if you can call over $1000 reasonable!) all have short connection times. Which leads me to your statement...why would they sell tickets on flights that they know passengers can't make?

Manchester
Level Contributor
169 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Connection Times R/T JFK/Dublin/Paris

Don't believe the 3h rule unless the airline said it

Belfast
Level Contributor
68 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Connection Times R/T JFK/Dublin/Paris

The 3hr rule is for people beginning their journey in Dublin as far as I aware, although I have never cleared US immigration from a connecting flight so personally cannot advise what time is appropriate.

I have cleared US immigration in Dublin twice at the start of my journey and there were never more than 10 people in front of me in the queue each time...probably more like 5, although I'm not sure if this is just luck. Each time I gave myself the recommended 3 hours at least and had a very long wait :-)

Edited: 05 March 2012, 09:04
Trumbull...
Level Contributor
647 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Connection Times R/T JFK/Dublin/Paris

"Each time I gave myself the recommended 3 hours at least and had a very long wait :-)"

You mean you had a long wait AFTER you cleared immigration, right? Not a long wait to clear...

Edited: 05 March 2012, 09:41
Belfast
Level Contributor
68 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Connection Times R/T JFK/Dublin/Paris

Yes that's after immigration :)

10. Re: Connection Times R/T JFK/Dublin/Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 02:43