We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

chinese transit visa - do we need one ??? urgent help needed

no fixed address
Level Contributor
25 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
chinese transit visa - do we need one ??? urgent help needed

Hi there we booked a flight with China Southern / KLM which is

Sydney - Guangzhou then

Guangzhou - Amsterdam (with a technial stop in Beijing) -

we have just been told 4 days out from flying that we need to get a Chinese transit Visa - we are not going to leave the airport, we have a 5 hour gap between the 2 flights - can anyone help ???

do we need one ??

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: chinese transit visa - do we need one ??? urgent help needed

Jen, you'd need to state your nationality to let someone in the know advise. I'm guessing its Australian but .......

no fixed address
Level Contributor
25 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: chinese transit visa - do we need one ??? urgent help needed

yes both australian - travellers - sorry :)

Edited: 15 December 2011, 09:45
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,398 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: chinese transit visa - do we need one ??? urgent help needed

Looks like you do not--quoting from this website (but suggest you double check with Chinese embassy or travel agent). (Shanghai is only mentioned because it is the only mainland Chinese city that allows up to 48 hours..all the rest such as where you are going allow you to make a connection of under 24 hours assuming you don't leave the airport.

travelchinaguide.com/embassy/visa/intro2.htm

2. Visa Exemption for Direct Transit

The truly transit passengers by international flight who hold onward tickets do not require a visa provided that they stay in the airport transit area and depart within 24 hours.

Citizens of the following 30 countries are permitted to transit Shanghai for up to 48 hours without a visa (They are allowed to leave the Pudong Airport/Hongqiao Airport to enter the city): Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Korea, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and USA.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: chinese transit visa - do we need one ??? urgent help needed

do not require a visa provided that they stay in the airport transit area

============

Is it possible that the connection between China Southern / KLM means they need to move out of the transit area?

Who told you you need a transit visa? Because if its the first airline, then it doesn't matter what someone here says if their rules don't allow you to board without one. You may need to get on to the Chinese embassy/consulate.

no fixed address
Level Contributor
25 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: chinese transit visa - do we need one ??? urgent help needed

This is from smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/China

You may need a visa to transit China if your stopover requires you to leave the airport. However, if you are staying within the confines of the airport for less than 24 hours while transiting China en route to a third country, you do not need a transit visa. You should check these requirements with the Embassy or Consulate of China for the most up to date information.

this makes sense & will go with this

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,710 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: chinese transit visa - do we need one ??? urgent help needed

Here is what my company's visa agent (CIBT) says regarding Australian citizens transiting in China -

"There is no visa required if staying less than 24 hours. You must hold a confirmed airline ticket on to your next destination. Leaving the airport transit area is not permitted. These conditions are subject to change, you

must confirm the transit regulations with your airline carrier prior to traveling."

So I would double check with CZ and KL. I don't know CAN and how they handle transit. Looking at various info sites, it looks like you should be OK. But read the reviews on Skytrax as the reports indicate transit is confusing -

airlinequality.com/Airports/…can.htm

Btw - not relevant to jenwhit, but I noticed that on MapleG's link, the 48 hour visa waiver for Shanghai does NOT include UK citizens. I don't know if that's an oversight or not.

Personally, I would never transit in a country for which I didn't have full access, in case of a flight incident/delay/ash cloud, etc. Luckily I currently have visas for both China and India, so I'd be ok.

Good luck.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,028 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: chinese transit visa - do we need one ??? urgent help needed

I would double check with the Chinese Embassy or Consulate. The rules may have changed, but a few years ago when I was booking travel, Shanghaii was the only airport you coukl transit without a visa. All others, including Beijing needed a transit visa. In this case, I'd say it's worth the price of a phone call to be sure.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,398 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: chinese transit visa - do we need one ??? urgent help needed

Verbatim from the Embassy of the People's Republic of China (from the US website)

Visa-free transit

1. Visas are not required of aliens who hold air tickets to the final destination and have booked seats on international airliners flying directly through China, and will stay in a transit city for less than 24 hours without leaving the airport.

2. Visas are not required of passport holders of the following countries, who transit through Pudong Airport or Hongqiao Airport of Shanghai, provided they hold valid passports, visas for the onward countries, final destination tickets and have booked seats, and stay in Shanghai for less than 48 hours : Republic of Korea, United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Austria, Greece, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Iceland.

WEBSITE china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/zgqz/t84242.htm

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,710 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: chinese transit visa - do we need one ??? urgent help needed

Thanks for that info MapleG, confirming the situation in Shanghai for UK citizens (and Swiss and Irish). That would affect those people's ability to say arrive at Hongquaio and depart from Pudong.

In other words, check your entry status at the connecting airport's country BEFORE you book, or as I said earlier only book flights that connect in countries you know you have entry clearance.

Edited: 15 December 2011, 14:19
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: chinese transit visa - do we need one ??? urgent help needed

China Southern and KLM are part of the Skyteam alliance. So, if your ticket is booked on the one itinerary, I would presume you can check your luggage straight through from SYD to AMS. This would negate the need to check-in again or anything like that... so you can just relax in the transit area :) Guangzhou is not a bad airport... fairly new and easy to navigate. Would put a few Australian airports to shame, actually. Enjoy your trip.