We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of changing dates for an international Qantas flight?

Adelaide, Australia
5 posts
Save Topic
Cost of changing dates for an international Qantas flight?

I have booked a trip to NY from 15 Nov 2011 to the 15 Jan 2012 and I want to add a quick trip to Spain at the end of my trip. So instead of flying home to Australia from NY on Jan 15, I want to fly from NY to Spain and they Spain back to NY and then from NY back to Australia. Essentially, I will just be changing my return date.

I tried to change it online but there wasn't 'change flight' button on my itinerary and I tried to call Qantas, but they had me on hold for 15 minutes!

I spoke with a woman at Flight Centre today and she said it would cost $400 to change the date or a minimum of $1700 to change the ticket to a 'Round the World'. That just seems excessive to me.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of changing dates for an international Qantas flight?

No doubt like most people, you bought a ticket at a relatively low price without considering the terms and conditions, and one of those Ts&Cs was what the price to change would be. BUt, you bought it and you agreed to thsoe Ts&Cs, so it is what it is, and its no use complaining after the event. If you wanted a changeable ticket that's what you should have bought, though FWIW you would likely have paid a *lot* more than $400

Now its not clear to me if you expect that extra return flight to Spain to be included in the $400, in which case that change is a bargain anyway, or if you will purchase your own ticket to Spain and back and wish merely to change your return date, in which case its an irrelevance to the question of changing dates.

FWIW the extra cost of changing dates will likely be much higher once you have started your trip, so you should make up your mind up ASAP (eg before you fly) whether or not to pay the $400.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of changing dates for an international Qantas flight?

Slight correction (ran out of edit time), I said that if you wanted a changeable ticket you would likely have paid a *lot* more than $400. I was thinking of a fully flexible ticket. There would probably have also been a halfway house,where you paid a bit more, say $50-$100, to avoid paying the change fee, if you changed.

To explain, your $400 consists of two components, a change fee, lets say $200, and the difference in the cost between what the price was when you booked and what the cost is now.

Aside full fare first tickets, which might be 10X what you paid, you can never evade that second part. So even if you paid an extra (say) $100 up front for a more flexible ticket, probably you'd find there was still a $200 (say) extra cost as well. So you probably havent lost much.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of changing dates for an international Qantas flight?

Like Joe says, if you bought a cheap non transferable ticket then it's no use coming onto this forum crying your eyes out. If you want a flexible ticket then pay the extra and buy it. $400 sounds very reasonable for a flight change.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
318 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of changing dates for an international Qantas flight?

we had to change a flight date with thai air earlier this year and that was $450 so i think $400 is a fair price. earlier you do it the better as will probably go up the longer you leave it, have a great trip.

b.t.w. didn't read like crying your eyes out to me

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,804 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of changing dates for an international Qantas flight?

If I'm reading your post correctly, they offered you a RTW for an additional $1700.00. Presunmng this means changing your return to read from Spain to Australia and adding a NY/Spain segment, that's not that bad an option. Probably close to the same amount you'd pay to change your present ticket plus buy an additional round trip ticket from NY to Spain.

Remember that if you are going to go with the RT in/out of NYC you need to leave yourself plenty of time to make connections. You will be on 2 separate tickets and will need to clear customs and immigration, plus check back in with Qantas and reclear security. If there is a schedule change on either ticket, you would be on your own as far as changes are concerned. When flying on separate tickets, neither airline is required to assist in case of a missed connection or a schedule change that causes a misconnect.

Another thing to remember if you do go with the 2 ticket option is to make sure your NY/Spain tickets and your NY/Australia tickets are in/out of the same airports. You don't want to get stuck having to change airports in NYC to make a connection, especially during rush hour. If you go with the 2 ticket option I would suggest spending the night in NY between the Spain/NY and NY/Australia return flights to minimize the chances of missing your flight.

6. Re: Cost of changing dates for an international Qantas flight?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2012, 17:16