We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Internal US Flights

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Internal US Flights

Hi,

Posted a question on here a while ago about flying from MAN to LAS, then LAS to NYC, finally returning NYC to MAN.

I’ve been having a look today for flights as they have just appeared on some sites (going end of Aug, beginning of Sep 12) and just trying out some different scenarios. I’d be interested to look into booking MAN to LAS then returning NYC to Man and making a separate booking for the internal LAS to NYC flight. What would say is the best website to do this?

I am from the UK, so would it be best to do this through a UK site, or an American site?

Thanks for your time!

UK
Level Contributor
49,562 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Internal US Flights

I would do it from an airline website and book it all as one multi-city itinerary rather than two itineraries as you were looking at. Whats the reason for that, doe sit work out cheaper, because I'd have thought all in there might be a better deal?

There are a few airlines you can use for this,but I think I'd stick with American ones, or BA or Virgin (I dont actually like Virgin myself anymore but I know quite a few do).

You'll find it either doesn't matter which site you use, or you get directed to a UK website, if you start off on the US one, depending who you look at.

Whoever you book with, join their frequent flyer club so you get the points, a trip like this will get you a fair way towards free flights to US.

Also, fair enough to look now but I would hold off booking for some time.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,554 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Internal US Flights

Are you going to be spending any time in NYC after LAS or is this just going to be a connection through NYC?

If it's just a connection through NYC, I would advise against booking separate tickets.

If you are stopping in NYC after LAS, there are a number of options including LCC's. Most on here would probably suggest you look into flying Southwest or Jet Blue.

http://www.southwest.com/

http://www.jetblue.com/

Your best option is to go directly to the airlines website. Due to the multitude of CCV regulations worldwide, airlines have begun accepting alternate FOP. Both airlines listed above for example accept PayPal among others.

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,824 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Internal US Flights

Hi

I flew into Dallas and home from Phoenix this year with BA. Bought domestic flight from San Antonio to Las Vegas with southwest air. This was the cheapest option for me. Southwest give 2 free hold bags which saves a lot compared to other airlines, so count that in your costings. If you buy all on one ticket but have a stopover, they will still charge you for your bags on the domestic flight part.

Another advantage with southwest is earlybird check in, pay $10 when you book and you need do nothing else till you get to the airport and print off your ticket and drop your bags.

Clive

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Internal US Flights

Well to be honest, I'm just looking at all options at the minute. If it is definately cheaper to book it all together, using multi flights, that's what I'll do!

We will be staying 7 night in Las Vegas and 7 in NYC.

I know it's early to start looking, I just get impatient, so I just look all of the time!

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Internal US Flights

I don't think you get any sort of discount from booking a multi-city itinerary all together as opposed to individually. At least from my experience recently booking travel through Asia.

For air, I always either book directly with the airlines or use a rewards credit card site (American Express). You don't get cheaper fares from travel agent websites any longer (unless its some sort of package) - again at least in my experience.

Southwest doesn't always have the lowest fares, but the 2 free bags is very handy (especially for someone on a long trip). They also don't have assigned seating and as the other poster mentions, spending the extra bit for early bird checkin is worth it as you also get at the front of the herd while boarding. The flight from LAS to LaGuardia is 6-8 or so hours with plane change at Chicago Midway and some flights stop, but don't change plantes. As Southwest doesn't serve a meal, this can be a bit rough.

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,824 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Internal US Flights

Hi

Just thought I would point out, boarding on a Southwest flight is NOT like the like of Ryanair or Easyjet. You are given a boarding number and then you board in that order. No rugby scrum to deal with! Therefore with earlybird you get a low number.

As a bonus though they do serve free soft drinks and give a few nibbles. Again a long wait on the european airlines for any such luxuries.........

Clive

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
290 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Internal US Flights

chaddytheowl17 - with a name like that, you must be an Oldham fan!

I posted on your original question, with regards to this trip. I did the exact same trip (almost) in October '10. I booked my flights through ebookers multi-city search, however instead of departing from MAN, my route took me from LPL-AMS-PDX-LAS, then an overnight from LAS-JFK and finally JFK - MAN on delta. Mine worked out cheaper to book them all together, than it would have done to do it seperately.

Have you tried this search??

8. Re: Internal US Flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 14:15