We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Atlantic flights

fermanagh
Level Contributor
209 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Virgin Atlantic flights

Going to be travelling with Virgin Atlantic to Cancun next July 2012 just looking to hear what others think of their flights etc? as I have always heard grat reviews about them and looking forward to travelling with them.

We prob travel economy but as its our honeymoon we might try to blag an upgrade on the day. any tips for blagging upgrades?

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,121 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin Atlantic flights

There is only one sure way to get an upgrade Im afraid, and thats to pay for it.

Virgin Atlantic seem to be getting some mixed reviews these days, but this website might be useful:

www.airlinequality.com/Forum/vir_atl.htm

fermanagh
Level Contributor
209 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin Atlantic flights

Which model or make of airplane do you think would be used for the new Gatwick to Cancun flight? as reviews are different according to the type of plane

uk
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin Atlantic flights

At the moment it is showing as a Boeing 747-400.

fermanagh
Level Contributor
209 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin Atlantic flights

What airline would be best then for flying to Cancun from Gatwick and then then from Las vegas back to Gatwick?

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,544 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin Atlantic flights

IrishLad34

If I was to fly Gatwick to Cancun, it would be on BA and not Virgin Atlantic. 747s are in a poor condition and their service leaves a lot to be desired. BA has been serving that route for a while now and Virgin decided to axe Kingston and send the aircraft to Mexico instead.

Regards

South West UK
Level Contributor
234 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin Atlantic flights

IrishLad34

Virgin are OK, certainly as good as B.A IMO if you compare WT and economy.... Yes they have slipped a little over the last few years, but then so have 'most' airlines......

We flew VS 'Ruby Tuesday' (747) back from Vegas to LGW the other month and it was in no way in a poor condition. Yes the IFE would be vastly improved with a move to AVOD - but then this may happen when the LGW 747's go in for a refit in the early part of 2012.

JB

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,544 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin Atlantic flights

JB1962

Been to www.airlinequality.com? Most of the comments regarding the poor condition of 747s specifically refers to LGW/MAN based 747s. That's why they've been downgraded to a three star airline, and BA remains a four star.

www.airlinequality.com/Forum/vir_atl.htm

Maybe you should write a review to give VS some much needed good press.

Regards

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,022 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Virgin Atlantic flights

We prob travel economy but as its our honeymoon we might try to blag an upgrade on the day. any tips for blagging upgrades?

Don't. You'll just embarass yourself and get nowhere. Loads of threads on here about people asking about upgrades that you can read.

South West UK
Level Contributor
234 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Virgin Atlantic flights

Geneticsniper_1

Have written a few reviews before - of both B.A & VS, as I stated - IMO there is very little diff in WT and economy between the two airlines.

Not that I take airlinequality.com as the benchmark tool when choosing a carrier as the reviews are in general too short and somewhat simplistic as two examples below show - one of BA & one of VS

Not very attentive Flight Attendants, cabin not well maintained, IFE on the B777 offers few selections, my video programs were wrongly loaded with no flight tracking. The food was not good at all.

The plane was full of people shouting and drinking, we had 4 middle seats and the 8 middle seats behind us were full of these people. They were standing up and pushing against our seats all the time. Their language was awful and none of us got any rest.

Regards

Somerset, UK
Level Contributor
489 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Virgin Atlantic flights

A couple of friends of mine got an upgrade from economy to PE a couple of years ago. They were on their honeymoon and the check in agent knew this. I can only think that their travel agent must have let them know.

I was gutted, I have been travelling regularly for years in all classes and have never had an upgrade without paying for it.

Edited: 22 September 2011, 02:33