We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

british airways air miles

london
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
british airways air miles

Are we now going to get ripped off with the new scheme. It seems that this is not being customer friendly. Now going to have to use them soon or pay towards them.Any ideas>

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,351 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: british airways air miles

I am a bit annoyed with BA since this announcement was not only one of the worst-kept secrets since Julian Assange got busy with a laptop, but the information is being disseminated in microdrips, which has led to massive speculation.

If you are referring to Airmiles then there will be changes to the program: britishairways.com/travel/…en_gb If you're referring to BAEC Miles then booking award flights to some destinations may require fewer Miles; according to BA only 3% of destinations will require more Miles for award bookings.

But the information isn't yet available. There has been talk of a Bronze EC membership level, but thus far it's been talk, with nothing concrete from BA (or what has been spotted at BA websites has been removed). Until further information is doled out I say KC&CO. britishairways.com/travel/…en_gb

North Carolina
Level Contributor
202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: british airways air miles

You are right . It is not at all customer friendly. I have read every word and I can't help but read "hidden meanings" behind all the statements.

Am already ticked off with their latest "charges for booking a seat in advance."

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: british airways air miles

@Dorothy, that's hardly new anymore, and is at least an improvement for those without status or full-fare tickets, who could not pre-assign seats at all before.

Far from being a rip-off, I am cautiously optimistic about changes announced so far - destinations that I do/may travel to now require at worst no more miles, sometimes fewer and MFUs remain as is. These are the biggies for me. Murmurs of a bronze tier are also good, as I would probably hit that - and even if the only discernible benefit is free seat assignments, that's another tick in the box.

Of course, we wait to see what's in the next scheduled announcement. Anyone who has ever had to break bad news will have heard of a *#%€ sandwich (bad news sandwiched by good).

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: british airways air miles

As Executive Club members it might be best that we wait until November 16th 2011 to get the full picture before needless panic sets in.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,274 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: british airways air miles

My husband is a gold card holder - so he went through the 'changes' what little is available, and he's not unduly worried...we will see

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: british airways air miles

I have collected Airmiles since they came in in around 1986? I have seen my paper ones go up in smoke as worthless.

In all that time I have managed to get a few quid off one flight to Africa (I am sure that map expands when I get close.)

Last month I used some more. To hire a bloody car from Avis.

Air Miles? Twaddle. You want some? I got some.

I had some AAAdantage too. They went the same way. Got some SkyFlyingblue too. '000s of em. Fat chance to use them.

Just take the cheapest fare and they know where to put the 'awards!"

Edited: 04 September 2011, 07:02
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: british airways air miles

<<I had some AAAdantage too. They went the same way. Got some SkyFlyingblue too. '000s of em. Fat chance to use them.>>

Its all about about planning mfuwe (nice to see you back BTW) I've been to hawaii business class several times courtesy of AAdvantage miles.

AirMIles(TM) do seem to have been toasted by this change though, though they weren't much cop before. BA Airmiles, OTOH, there doesn't seem to be much of a change so far, and even some improvements. I'll probably be xferring my pitiful amount of AirMiles(TM) into Avios Points and hopefully they will contribute to an upgrade to Club World to Canada next year.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: british airways air miles

Would love to plan Joe. The trouble is they keep changing the rules. FB wipes the slate each year 31st December. So the qualifying flight goes with it. AAA do't go where I need to be and BA keep shuttng the door just as I get there.

So I just buy the cheapest fare going and keep the money under the matress.

KLM in four hours. Down the back of course. See ya!

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,254 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: british airways air miles

The problem for all of us is,airmiles could book into revenue fare buckets when award buckets were sold out,meaning with airmiles you could get a seat at reasonably short notice,even if there were no award seats available on BA.Those last minute seats from airmiles even earned tierpoints and BA miles.

With the new scheme,that will no longer happen,and everybody is fighting for the few reward seats available.

Unless BA makes more reward seats available,which I personaly think is unlikely,actually getting to use the avios points is going to become rather difficult.

Murcia, Spain
Level Contributor
292 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: british airways air miles

I wonder if I'll be able to merge my Iberia points with my BA miles? I earn Iberia points buying fuel from REPSOL. Not many, but it may just give me enough BA, sorry Avios (what a silly name) miles for that elusive award!