We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Security scanners & pregnancy

Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
Save Topic
Security scanners & pregnancy

Hello, does anyone know whether security scanners in airports can be harmful during pregnancy?

Do the 'x-ray' scanners, such as those at Manchester airport, pose a greater problem than an ordinary scanner?

I hope I have made my questions understandable.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,548 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Security scanners & pregnancy

heresmyreply

Not as far as I know. I see pregnant women going through the newer scanners all the time without any "immediate" harm.

Regards

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Security scanners & pregnancy

If they caused hard I'm sure there would be a sign warning pregnant women about it. You'll be fine.

Manchester
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Security scanners & pregnancy

Although there is no evidence of harm with these scanners in pregnancy, it is ultimately radiation, and is impossible to carry out research to clarify ethically.

I'm sure a letter from your doctor confirming you are pregnant will exempt you from going through the scanners, resulting in the traditional pat down instead.

bristol UK
Level Contributor
117 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Security scanners & pregnancy

These notes below are on the Manchester airport Web site. The dose you receive is minimal, much less than you will get from taking the flight itself. You can't choose to opt out.

Body-scanners & Pregnancy

Body-scanners are now being used at Manchester Airport to allow security checking of a person without the need for a physical ‘pat down’ by a security officer.

Many official, independent international bodies including the Health

Protection Agency (HPA) in the UK have assessed the risks from the scanners. They are approved for use for all passengers including expectant mothers.

The emissions received from the scanner are a very small fraction of that received every day from natural sources.

These emissions are enough to pass through clothing but not high enough to pass through the body and therefore pose no risk to the mother or baby. The reflected X-rays are then collected and transformed electronically into an image of the body shape.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,659 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Security scanners & pregnancy

I've never liked the "it is only a little bit" argument. To me, it is a little bit I don't need. Fortunately, I can't assume the position in the US scanners. I didn't think any of them used x-rays. I thought it was all in the radio/microwave range.

That being said, the energy is not penetrative so no direct effect on the little guy/gal.

Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Security scanners & pregnancy

Thank you for your replies.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Security scanners & pregnancy

Here's some good information on pregnancy and flying from the CDC (Centre for Disease Control) including pre-flight recommendations:

…cdc.gov/travel/…pregnant-travelers.htm

8. Re: Security scanners & pregnancy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 04:16