We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LAX: Terminal 2 -> TBIT. How long? Out / Back in Security?

Halifax, Canada
4 posts
LAX: Terminal 2 -> TBIT. How long? Out / Back in Security?
Save

I'm connecting from Terminal 2 to TBIT with maybe 3 hours in between touchdown and takeoff. Both arriving and departing flight are international. How long a walk is this? Do I have to clear screening to get out of Terminal 2 and then clear it again to get into TBIT? Or are they connected? Will 3 hours be cutting it close?

Boston...
Level Contributor
286 posts
1. Re: LAX: Terminal 2 -> TBIT. How long? Out / Back in Security?
Save

If your flight to LAX is from Canada, you will clear US Customs and Immigration in Canada, not in LAX. So, assuming that you have checked your bags through to your final destination, all you need to do is walk or take the shuttle from Term 2 to TBIT. You'll need to clear security only at TBIT. The whole process will take well under an hour.

Don

Halifax, Canada
4 posts
2. Re: LAX: Terminal 2 -> TBIT. How long? Out / Back in Security?
Save

Thanks Don, that is very helpful. One wrinkle which may bring a large monkey wrench - my departing flight is not a partner of my arriving flight, meaning my bags won't be checked through. I'll have to get them at terminal 2 and check them back in at TBIT. What does that do to my plans?

Orange County...
Level Contributor
52 posts
72 reviews
94 helpful votes
3. Re: LAX: Terminal 2 -> TBIT. How long? Out / Back in Security?
Save

Since LAX is one of the slowest airports with claiming bags you will probably have to add 30 minutes to what Don said. Then you will have to re-check them back in which will probably take 10-20 minutes. So probably a total of 45 minutes on top of what Don said. Hope this helps!

Edited: 9 years ago
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
7,755 posts
9 reviews
53 helpful votes
4. Re: LAX: Terminal 2 -> TBIT. How long? Out / Back in Security?
Save

"my departing flight is not a partner of my arriving flight"

The issue isn't whether or not they're partner airlines, but whether or not you're booked on one ticket or 2 separate tickets.

Airlines have interline ticketing agreements where they will transfer baggage to another airline even if they are not a part of the same alliance or a partner airline. Therefore, if you're traveling on one ticket, there's still a possibility that your baggage will be tagged through to your final destination. Double check your bag tags when you depart.

Halifax, Canada
4 posts
5. Re: LAX: Terminal 2 -> TBIT. How long? Out / Back in Security?
Save

Thanks vegas-guide - I did not realize that. Alas, I'm on two tickets, so I might be out of luck either way. I have 3 hours 45 mins between flights, so even taking Don's hour and adding the resorttraveller's 45 mins, that still leaves 2 hours. I should be OK I think?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka, Tokyo
Level Contributor
71,017 posts
181 reviews
182 helpful votes
6. Re: LAX: Terminal 2 -> TBIT. How long? Out / Back in Security?
Save

With 3:45, you are normally safe. However, you never know when it comes to delays. Get yourself a seat closer to the front to save some time.

Even if you are on two tickets, if the airlines are the same or they are within the same alliance, chances are they will be willing to check you all the way through.

7. Re: LAX: Terminal 2 -> TBIT. How long? Out / Back in Security?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 09:17
USDUSD
Australia
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.