We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

19lb dog as carry on

New York
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
19lb dog as carry on

I plan to bring my 19 pound, very well behaved dog on a flight from NYC to Cancun. I will be staying with friends so the arrangement at the destination are fine. The dog fits in a large Sherpa bag and frequently travels on the subway and commuter rails with me. This also means he's not scared of noise and distractions that come with being on a plane. I'm not so worried about the dog, he'll sleep, but when I weigh him with the bag he's 23 lbs.

Does anyone have experience traveling with a dog that tops the scales? My friends, two who fly with dogs say I'll be fine since they've never been asked to weigh their dogs.Thanks for your advice!

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,117 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 19lb dog as carry on

I strongly disagree with you on this matter - this is for your convenience and pleasure, but canines are severely stressed by such travel. Please leave your dog in a good kennel or with a good friend.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,123 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 19lb dog as carry on

I would check with the airline. No one here can give you any certain advice. I would assume you've already educated yourself on the rules for bringing a pet into Mexico.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 19lb dog as carry on

Absolutely check on the rules for bringing dogs into Mexico. Also - it may not be how much the dog weighs, but how big the bag is. If the bag is too big to put him under the seat in front of you, what will you do with him during the flight?

Definitely check with your airline on this because their opinion is what matters. If you definitely decide to take him, you may have to put him in a kennel in the baggage compartment.

Edited: 03 April 2011, 05:18
Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 19lb dog as carry on

It could be that your dog travels well on the subway and trains, but you don't know how he/she will react on a plane. I do agree that if you can leave your dog with a caretaker to avoid any unforeseen stress on him/her. Anyway, if you really need to bring your dog it is best to check with the airline to be sure about the weight issue.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 19lb dog as carry on

Check your carriers website and maybe give them a call if needed. Airlines have specific rules on animals in the cabin including size, weight and number of animals. Here's a link to the carry on pet policy for one of the airlines flying out of your area. Rules will vary by airline, but are usually fairly similar.

delta.com/planning_reservations/…carryon

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,258 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 19lb dog as carry on

Even if the airline is amenable, imagine how any of us would feel if put in very confined (albeit comfortable) quarters and deprived of the chance to move - most dogs like room to roam - for an extended period of time.

it may be extremely stressful for WBD (well behaved dog); it sounds as if you care for him very much and so the question really is do you want him to go through the experience?

If he goes to a dog resort or one of your friends looks after him whilst you're away he will miss you but it may ultimately be the better choice. And please do check about whether or not he'd be allowed to visit Cancun.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,688 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 19lb dog as carry on

If you take your dog with you on the subway and trains with you, he is no doubt comfortable, happy and secure in his travel "pod".

Make absolutely sure of the regulations about bringing him into Mexico and as others have suggested, the best place to check the regulations is with your airline.

Carrollton, Texas
Level Contributor
107 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 19lb dog as carry on

Can a 19# dog fit in an 8" tall carrier (i.e. under the seat in front of you?)

if not: Fido is going downstairs with the baggage....or not at all.

He has to be able to stand up and turn around in his crate (by law).

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,134 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 19lb dog as carry on

Also make sure your pet will be able to re-enter the U.S. without any problems. What kind of guarantees as to his health status will be required upon arrival?

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,712 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 19lb dog as carry on

TP>>>imagine how any of us would feel if put in very confined (albeit comfortable) quarters and deprived of the chance to move <<<

Sounds like economy (aka cattle class) to me!

Topic, yes, check with your carrier and that you know the requirements for re-admitting the pet into the US, etc.