We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I need help with US operated airlines!

Montreal
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
I need help with US operated airlines!

Hi guys....I am in the planning phase of a cruise (Carribean islands on Celebrity) departing from Fort Lauderdale. I want to combine my 2 loves (NY and cruising) so I am planning on cashing in frequent flyer miles (or take the train if I don't get tickets) from my hometown of Montreal to NY. I then want to fly from NY to Fort Lauderdale.

I am planning on leaving NY on August 14th. I prefer to spend the night in Fort Lauderdale to be ready for the cruise at the beginning of the afternoon. Some people fly in on the same day but I am too anxious a person to do that!

The problem is that I am used to flying with Air Canada and have not taken US owned airlines regularly.

The best prices I got back were around 350$ (including luggage) on Delta and 360$ on Jet Blue. Since I can't leave early in the morning of August 22nd, the price is a little bit higher.

Do you know of other "discount" airlines that fly the NY-Fort Lauderdale route? There is Spirit also but they now charge for carry-ons! The price is 280$ but you have to pay for carry-on and checked baggage.

Thanks to anyone who can help me with my little problem! It would be less complicated to fly from Montreal to Fort Lauderdale but I would not get to spend time in NY:)

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,613 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I need help with US operated airlines!

Hi,

Just off the top of my head the only other options I can think of would be:

A) Southwest (WN).. But do know that any WN flight option from LGA would require a stop and connection in BWI (Baltimore) before going on to FLL.

WN only sells their tickets thru their own channels (like their website) so most 3rd party booking sites can't/won't show you any WN options.

B) Airtran.. All AirTran flights from LGA would require at least one en-route stop with a change of aircraft.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 28 July 2010, 11:29
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,047 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I need help with US operated airlines!

Given the choice between Southwest and AirTran I would choose WN. Should be a better experience overall, plus pax may check one or two bags without paying a fee for the privilege.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I need help with US operated airlines!

I'd go with the Jet Blue flights in/out of the same airport as your Air Canada flights (for ease of transfer upon your return). They have a good reputation and are fairly low priced. They also allow the first bag free and do not charge for carry-ons. I would stay away from Spirit Air. They're an OK airline and you can get some low fares. However, they're the US version of Ryan Air and will nickel & dime you to death.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
472 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I need help with US operated airlines!

did you purchase your cruise yet? If not, why not cruise out of New York? There are a lot of caribbean cruises that leave from the new york harbor. I have done two and it's really nice coming in and out...just a thought.

As far as your question goes, I personally think that jet blue is one of the best U.S. airlines and would go with them...

Montreal
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I need help with US operated airlines!

Thanks guys for your replies!

I have gone through kayak and other websites but I wanted more of an input on the airlines. I am not aware of the problems some may have since I don't use them often. JetBlue seems to be a nice alternative to Delta. They are the 2 best prices I have found.

Altermood....I have booked my cruise already but I booked it because there were not enough choices for August for cruises leaving New York. I did one at the beginning of July out of New York. I went to Bermuda on the Holland Vendaam. I had looked at Carnival for my August departure but I decided to go with Celebrity from Fort Lauderdale because of the price and the fact that I am not a party person. The cruise with Celebrity was many hundreds less so I decided to take the money and spend a few days in NY on top of my cruise:)

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,710 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I need help with US operated airlines!

Flying out of YUL can be expensive and a pain at the best of times so I understand the search for alternatives. It is my least favourite Canadian airport. Unless you really want to see NYC (as distinguished from the State of NY) do what we do... take a 90 minute-2 hr drive over to Burlington, Vermont (BTV) and fly from there. All the major airlines and LCC's fly there (not Southwest though). We've had prices equivalent to cheaper than dropping down and flying from NYC. JetBlue has a number of flights that will give you easy connections to head to Florida. Your trip will be smoother, faster, and less inconvenienced by potentially expensive ground transfers. Our relatives fly JetBlue a lot, and while they are not impressed by their NYC hub, they are reliable, with plenty of back-up, and probably what you are seeking in this instance.

You may even be able to train it to BTV, but I don't know choo-choos.

Edited: 29 July 2010, 00:09
Montreal
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I need help with US operated airlines!

Thanks Geomedic....the problem is that I don't have a car....getting to Burlington would mean depending on someone and I am not big on that. My mother often takes me to the airport but they are also vacationing in August so I would not have a means of transport. I looked into getting to Burlington by bus but you have to take a cab afterwards to the airport. It is a hassle so I prefer to pass by New York city and enjoy a couple of days there.

If you had to choose between Delta and Jetblue for the same price, which one would you choose?

8. Re: I need help with US operated airlines!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2011, 19:20