We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is bidding for an upgrade to Premium Class worth it, on NA?

Seattle
Level Contributor
367 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Is bidding for an upgrade to Premium Class worth it, on NA?

After all these months reading the posts about Norwegian Air I have panicked with each recent text for my JFK to Oslo flight next week! Is bidding $350USD, the minimum, worth it? I paid for seat selection and have a bulkhead in coach class. No meal preordered, and hopefully my meticulous planning and packing pays off for my carry on+ " personal item" passing inspections. $350 is more than my ticket. From all the posts I have read it sounds like being in the Premium category hasn't made any difference? Thank you for the insight!

9 replies to this topic
1. Re: Is bidding for an upgrade to Premium Class worth it, on NA?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2018, 01:41
Edited: 14 August 2018, 01:41

2. Re: Is bidding for an upgrade to Premium Class worth it, on NA?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2018, 01:41

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
441 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is bidding for an upgrade to Premium Class worth it, on NA?

A bid of $350 does not guarantee a premium seat. On a long-haul flight the extra space, food and drink make for a more pleasant experience, but on the other hand $350 is a nice chunk of spending money when you get to your destination.

Please be aware that you will have to pay for any food or drink (even a bottle of water) if you order during the flight.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,633 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is bidding for an upgrade to Premium Class worth it, on NA?

Firstly please ignore #1. This self professed “expert” often spouts drivel. Unless you’ve been notified of a plane change you’re on a Dreamliner. And those that have “suffered” a plane change are reporting as good seating and in many cases better seats than expected.

Personally I wouldn’t have purchased Norwegian, as their cheapest fares once the add on fees are taken into account make the total cost more expensive than flying a full service mainline carrier. You only save money if you don’t check bags and bring your own sandwiches.

Norwegian’s terrible financial performance (they’re fast running out of money, but they should just survive the summer) indicates that’s what people are doing (carry on only and self packed sandwiches) so they’re losing money by failing to sell the extras.

Is a paid upgrade worth it? If it’s on their original low density premium cabin quite possibly. The legroom is excellent and way better than normal premium economy. On the high density premium cabin maybe not. That’s the same as a BA Premium Economy (38” seat pitch). Though if you’re fretting about the checked bag fee ($45 each way) and meals anc drinks (also $45 each way) that could be a good offset.

Though as #2 says, make sure it’s actually for the Premium Cabin.

Good luck.

Edited: 21 June 2018, 16:31
Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
441 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is bidding for an upgrade to Premium Class worth it, on NA?

Just to clarify my post #2. If your bid is successful you will get a seat in the premium cabin with extra legroom, food and drink and your card will be debited with the amount of your bid.

If your bid is not successful you will remain in economy as per your original booking and your card should not be debited.

I flew economy London to Singapore 12hours+ and it was OK in terms of comfort. Return trip was in premium which was nice, but for the additional cost my wife and I could have had an extra couple of days in Singapore.

You pays your money and makes your choice!

Seattle
Level Contributor
367 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is bidding for an upgrade to Premium Class worth it, on NA?

Thanks, all! I assume because JFK- Oslo is sort of the literal flagship (?) so far it has not been changed to another carrier or aircraft. Although, response #1 aside, I have been watching the consistently late departures each night. But #1 caused me to look again at the bulkhead seat assignment I purchased with the seat map at time of booking. Turns out that was for the 8 seat configuration, and the actual plane is for 9. So I called NA and was so pleasantly surprised that 1) it was answered almost right away, 2) for no charge he moved me to the last remaining bulkhead seat actually one row up from where I would have been, had expert #1 not caused me to double check 🙄. At only 6+ hours, used to twice that from my typical west coast travel, I will hunker down with my bitsy carryon and bag of nuts and water and $325 ticket! More thanks!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,679 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is bidding for an upgrade to Premium Class worth it, on NA?

Whether it's worth it to you is simple.

Read the benefits of Premium Economy and decide how much you'd be willing to pay for them and bid that. If you get it then it's worth it, if you don't then it isn't.

norway
Level Contributor
587 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is bidding for an upgrade to Premium Class worth it, on NA?

onerainyday

Enjoy your trip. Despite what some posters like to portray, i doubt that you would ever get a direct flight, JFK to OSL cheaper on any other airline. Just to put the icing on the cake, the weather forecast is for a mini heatwave next week.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,948 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is bidding for an upgrade to Premium Class worth it, on NA?

We did the upgrade bid on OSL - JFK. Was totally worth it. We got lounge access, priority security and boarding, great seats onboard in the small premium cabin. attentive staff with food and drink offered constantly. It also doubled our ticket price, but it was a really great way to end our trip.

Norwegian is such a bargain for us Canadians, it was totally worth it.

Reply to: Is bidding for an upgrade to Premium Class worth it, on NA?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted