We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Into to USA New TSA Rules on Powder in Carry-on

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
52,729 posts
1,769 reviews
Into to USA New TSA Rules on Powder in Carry-on

Might be of interest to those flying to USA with “powder” in carry-on: abc7chicago.com/what-are-the-new-tsa-powder-…

Hunt

13 replies to this topic
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
52,729 posts
1,769 reviews
1. Re: Into to USA New TSA Rules on Powder in Carry-on

Sorry, should be “Intl” not Into to...

Thank you Siri.

Apologies, and too late to edit title.

Hunt

2. Re: Into to USA New TSA Rules on Powder in Carry-on

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2018, 01:41

UK
Level Contributor
2,722 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Into to USA New TSA Rules on Powder in Carry-on

Here’s some info that we dug up a few days ago: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i…

2 airlines, SQ and AI, say that it will be an outright ban.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
11,309 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Into to USA New TSA Rules on Powder in Carry-on

They ran a news story about this on a local San Francisco TV station today. A guy was complaining about not being able to carry his smoothie mix with him in his carry-on.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Into to USA New TSA Rules on Powder in Carry-on

Other than baby powder for an infant, why would you need that much powder in-flight? If someone can't survive without their protein drink mix or smoothie mix for a few hours ....

Dallas
Level Contributor
3,749 posts
21 reviews
6. Re: Into to USA New TSA Rules on Powder in Carry-on

"Other than baby powder for an infant, why would you need that much powder in-flight?" Not necessarily for "in flight" use. Many people do not check luggage and rely on their carryon even for long trips.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Into to USA New TSA Rules on Powder in Carry-on

If you carry everything on, you have to obey the rules. So I guess no smoothies or protein shakes during your vacation. 😥

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,306 posts
220 reviews
8. Re: Into to USA New TSA Rules on Powder in Carry-on

Life is much easier if you travel with travel size amenities.

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
296 posts
9. Re: Into to USA New TSA Rules on Powder in Carry-on

I would be mad about the TSA banning smoothie mixes too only because they can't cause problems onboard.

When I travel, I want to eat at restaurants and get free breakfasts at hotels. Someone should rethink packing a smoothie mix.

As for people who really need to pack some kind of powder, some medications are in that form.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
468 posts
10. Re: Into to USA New TSA Rules on Powder in Carry-on

I personally don’t pack soothie mix, but I haven’t checked a bag in over 20 years of travel and don’t plan on starting, so when new restrictions come out I always have to think about anything I normally pack that might now not be allowed.

And Andrea, just because you only like to eat out/free breakfasts at a hotel or hostel, not everyone travels the same way. Lots of people stay in AirBnBs/hostels/apartments and cook a lot of their own meals. If a smoothie for dietary or other reason is important to someone, and let’s face it, you won’t be able to find something like that in all corners of the globe, then I can see where something like this could be problematic.

Reply to: Into to USA New TSA Rules on Powder in Carry-on
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted