We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow affecting flights

Dudley, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
31 reviews
Snow affecting flights

I am due to fly out for a 4 night break this week, but have noticed from numerous sources that the weather is potentially going to be bad on the day I’m due to return to the UK.

I realise there are still a few days where the situation could change, but heavy snow and blizzards have been mentioned for my region.

I am travelling alone, and am currently feeling a little anxious about what would happen in the event of the return flight being cancelled.

I booked the holiday as a package via Expedia and have received an ATOL certificate. The flights are with Jet 2 and I have travel insurance.

Could someone please advise the best course of action to take in the event of any disruption.

Also, how does it work in regards to flights being rearranged? Do the airlines try and fit passengers on existing scheduled flights, or are extra flights arranged?

Thank you in advance for any replies.

16 replies to this topic
Lake Crystal...
Level Contributor
689 posts
38 reviews
1. Re: Snow affecting flights

Airlines usually try to do the best they can with what they have. If a blizzard in the midwest means things go afoul in Dallas (as yesterday) flights will be delayed and people will be rebooked. In my experience AA will rebook you on an available flight and notify you via their app or a text. Don't know how Jet 2 does things. Not much you can do until a negative situation arises.

UK
Level Contributor
2,749 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Snow affecting flights

You are as protected as you can be so you just have to see how the week unfolds. There will most likely be some le el of disruption across the UK this week and probably parts of Europe too.

That disruption aside if your exact flights manage to operate then you have nothing to worry about (maybe some short delays due to de-icing). Jet2 May offer to rebook your package for another time free of charge or if you can get away they will take care of you until they can get you back home.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
22,888 posts
36 reviews
3. Re: Snow affecting flights

In my view I doubt your flight will be affected by blizzards but in any case it's outside your control - if your flight is affected the airline is responsible for looking after you (duty of care) during the delay and will get you on another flight at some stage although they will not put on extra flights to deal with this problem.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
4,286 posts
4. Re: Snow affecting flights

As above, what will be will be, and that will probably be nothing untoward. What is done to resolve things depends entirely on what has happened where, all you can do is keep in contact with the airline and make sure they can get you if they have a number.

Your post reads very well for a short break -- insurance {check} ATOL {check} Jet2 {check} Expedia {check} (there are worse) you just can't do anymore than that, relax and enjoy your break, they'll get you home safely one route or another

Dudley, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
31 reviews
5. Re: Snow affecting flights

Thanks everyone for the reassurance.

Just another quick question, in the event that I’m rescheduled on a different flight, do they have to send you back to the airport you were originally booked to fly to, or can they make you fly to an alternative UK airport?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
26,084 posts
78 reviews
6. Re: Snow affecting flights

your booked airport could be closed but there would be an alternative open. so they could divert you and in that case, they will arrange transport back to your booked airport

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
471 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: Snow affecting flights

> can they make you fly to an alternative UK airport

As per #6. Also, they may offer it as a possible alternative (but not *make* you), and you will be in the position to accept it or not. Moreover, if you find a suitable alternative yourself, you may kindly ask them as well. Relatives and friends have been in such a situation a couple of times.

Dudley, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
31 reviews
8. Re: Snow affecting flights

Cheers guys, I fly tomorrow so I’ll just have to wait and see how the week goes!

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
4,286 posts
9. Re: Snow affecting flights

I'm 100% certain it'll go better than ours is likely to ;-)

Wherever you're heading, it has to be a bonus - enjoy, they will get you back !!!

Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
4,339 posts
778 reviews
10. Re: Snow affecting flights

You have done all you can, can't control the weather.

Reply to: Snow affecting flights
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted