We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air New Zealand not allowing booking an aisle and window

Comox, Canada
4 posts
1 review
Air New Zealand not allowing booking an aisle and window

Air New Zealand would not allow my wife and I to book a window and aisle seat in the same row. Why? I've flown many other airlines and never ran into this problem before. It's ridiculous

44 replies to this topic
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,418 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Air New Zealand not allowing booking an aisle and window

Because they don't want people to game the system. Booking window and aisle by people traveling together means they don't want anyone to book the middle seat.

Edited: 24 February 2018, 16:56
Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,936 posts
1 review
2. Re: Air New Zealand not allowing booking an aisle and window

I can't find it right now, but I know somewhere on the Air NZ website it does say that you can't do this. However, that said, when you arrive at the airport you can ask if you can purchase an extra seat. The cost is fairly reasonable (from the US to AKL I think it's something like $60 USD), so you could try that. Of course that depends on the plane not being full.

Comox, Canada
4 posts
1 review
3. Re: Air New Zealand not allowing booking an aisle and window

I know they do that but it makes no sense. If someone wants to go where they want to go and the only seat available is a middle seat, they'll take it. I've never run into another airline that does this..

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,968 posts
114 reviews
4. Re: Air New Zealand not allowing booking an aisle and window

Makes perfect business sense.

Brechin, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
6,838 posts
43 reviews
5. Re: Air New Zealand not allowing booking an aisle and window

TUI does exactly this.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
9,848 posts
6. Re: Air New Zealand not allowing booking an aisle and window

You could make two separat bookings for your wife and yourself. That way you could select window and aisle seats.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
72,909 posts
476 reviews
7. Re: Air New Zealand not allowing booking an aisle and window

I congratulate Air New Zeland for having such a sensible policy, but as said, there are ways around it if you are determined to book an aisle and a window seat.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9,878 posts
140 reviews
8. Re: Air New Zealand not allowing booking an aisle and window

If you were able to and someone was to sit it the middle you would be the first one to ask to change seat so that you could sit together and if the person said NO you would be upset and back on TA complaining.

Also some people prefer sitting isle to isle.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
13,045 posts
34 reviews
9. Re: Air New Zealand not allowing booking an aisle and window

Book two separate tickets, choose seats that you want. It is that easy.

Hubby and I do the same, I love the window and he the aisle. We can travel for hours totally ignoring each other. No need to sit together at all, and we never ask the middle person to switch, in fact I would say most of the middle people have no idea we are even together.

Edited: 26 February 2018, 02:36
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
40,834 posts
39 reviews
10. Re: Air New Zealand not allowing booking an aisle and window

Good for them. Unfortunately there have been reports of people doing this and then talking over the middle person--once someone indicated that the couple held hands across his lap. Bottom line they were 'punishing" the middle person for "daring" to sit in "their" row!

Reply to: Air New Zealand not allowing booking an aisle and window
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted