We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How early do we need to be at the airport?

N.Wales UK
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
10,263 posts
221 reviews
How early do we need to be at the airport?

Hi everyone, this is the first time we have done a twin city holiday in the USA and are flying Manchester to NYC (three days there) then on to Vegas for four days. On the day we leave for Vegas, we have an afternoon flight and will just check out of the hotel and head to JFK for the flight to Vegas.

On our return journey our flight from Vegas is 6.45 am (really early for us as we usually leave Vegas in the afternoon) and back to JFK but how long do have to be at the airport for beforehand? Normally we fly non stop Man-Vegas so we would be at the airport a good 3 hours before but as this is a domestic flight we're unsure of what time we should check in.

Thanks.

20 replies to this topic
Prescot, United...
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
296 reviews
1. Re: How early do we need to be at the airport?

I don't know for sure, but I would be there 2 hours before just to be on the safe side.

I'd much rather have to get up really early than be sweating on the last minute

Lynne

N.Wales UK
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
10,263 posts
221 reviews
2. Re: How early do we need to be at the airport?

Thanks Lynne. We are actually thinking of staying up all night (not drinking though lol) so that would be ok as we can leave the hotel about 4.15am and then it won't seem like we're up the entire night and maybe we can get a sleep on the plane back to JFK.

Prescot, United...
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
296 reviews
3. Re: How early do we need to be at the airport?

Sounds like a good idea now HEVER, not so sure when it comes to the time tho! But being LV I'd probably not want to spend my last night sleeping

( just been looking at some of your reviews, you seem to frequent some of the same places we do! , reading your Kraków reviews at the mo as we're off there on Sunday)

Anyway, hopefully a traveller from the U S can give you a more accurate answer

Lynne

N.Wales UK
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
10,263 posts
221 reviews
4. Re: How early do we need to be at the airport?

We usually go to Vegas for 14 nights so with this just being 4 I'm sure I won't struggle to stay up playing the slot machines haha

Have a great time in Krakow. We've been there 3 times and love it :)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
49 reviews
5. Re: How early do we need to be at the airport?

Without knowing what airline you are flying, whether or not you have checked luggage, whether or not you have TSA Pre for security, or if you are flying business class or coach, it's difficult to answer your question, but I think two hours should be safe enough if you are flying coach and are checking in bags.

N.Wales UK
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
10,263 posts
221 reviews
6. Re: How early do we need to be at the airport?

jrcDublin, we're with Virgin/Delta and we will have checked bags flying in economy.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,203 posts
140 reviews
7. Re: How early do we need to be at the airport?

Are you really going to listen to advice that starts with: "I don't know for sure" What a waste of a post.

" To be on the safe side" In the USA we always get there 3 hours before as you never know how long security is

Level Contributor
514 posts
1 review
8. Re: How early do we need to be at the airport?

McCarran is a small airport and at that time of the day, not a problem. Two hours before is fine, and for me as a US resident, I am comfortable with 1.5hrs before for Las Vegas.

I don't know for sure, in my opinion, I think, I would guess... Some people know the answer but they are not pushy or aggressive. It's okay. -)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
59,614 posts
12 reviews
9. Re: How early do we need to be at the airport?

'as this is a domestic flight we're unsure of what time we should check in.' If OLCI - on line check in - opens at T-24 hours prior to the first flight departure then I'd ensure I checked in as soon as that service was available. Printing boarding passes is optional as with checked bags you'll need to visit the bag drop desk at LAS, but checking in at start of OLCI is usually a good idea.

As far as when to plan to be at the airport, for a domestic flight I would want to be in the terminal building, at the bag drop desk or in the queue for it, no later than two hours before flight departure time. This may allow for a plenty of spare time before departure but equally you might find a queue at security or could be delayed en route to the airport.

I don't stay awake all night before painfully early flight departure times as i've found it makes the flight less appealing, but your tolerance for that is your own.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
115 posts
94 reviews
10. Re: How early do we need to be at the airport?

I'm also in the camp that says your best bet is to arrive at the airport two hours before your scheduled domestic departure.

Reply to: How early do we need to be at the airport?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted