We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

simple but (silly?) question??

Level Contributor
55 posts
simple but (silly?) question??

Hi all

I'm a first time flyer and will be travelling from the UK to Istanbul via Amsterdam with KLM. I will be booking additional luggage and am i correct i only need to make one booking to cover the full journey. IE I don't need to book it from UK-AMS and from AMS to Istanbul.

Excuse my ignorance on the matter.

Thanks in advance

8 replies to this topic
Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,454 posts
90 reviews
1. Re: simple but (silly?) question??

Assuming you have one ticket then you book the extra luggage on the website and it will be checked through to Istanbul

UK
Level Contributor
2,714 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: simple but (silly?) question??

As long as you buy a single ticket to cover the entire journey then you only pay once, you will not see your bags in AMS. If paying for baggage make sure you are buying it direct from the airline as some shonky 3rd parties charge you but do not pass the fee on, so you land up paying again when you check in.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
16,072 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: simple but (silly?) question??

"am i correct i only need to make one booking to cover the full journey. IE I don't need to book it from UK-AMS and from AMS to Istanbul."

That is correct. In fact if you do the latter you won't have a protected connection which means that should you mis-coonect the airline are under no obligation to ensure you get to your final destination (IST).

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
25,819 posts
38 reviews
4. Re: simple but (silly?) question??

Yes, to be clear:

Book on the KLM website only. Enter your start airport and the end airport, it will only offer flights via AMS as KLM don't do non stops LHR to IST. So luggage is included for both legs in the price and will be tagged right through.

However, I have to ask, why, when this is your first ever flight, you are choosing to fly with KLM via AMS when you could fly non stop to IST from LHR with Turkish? That would be far simpler.

SWT

SWT

Edited: 22 February 2018, 07:22
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,411 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: simple but (silly?) question??

And make sure you have a visa for turkey.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,454 posts
90 reviews
6. Re: simple but (silly?) question??

I think the OP has a ticket and just wants to add luggage, the only place to do that is on the KLM website or at the airport (but that is much more expensive)

Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
4,332 posts
777 reviews
7. Re: simple but (silly?) question??

Correct, assuming one ticket and it never hurts to ask.

Level Contributor
55 posts
8. Re: simple but (silly?) question??

I am in the North of England so will be flying via a local airport as it's more convenient. Getting to LHR is a 5 hour drive each way.

Reply to: simple but (silly?) question??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted