We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wow Air "duty free bag"

New York
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Wow Air "duty free bag"

Wow lets passengers bring aboard a duty-free bag as well as a personal item.

At a budget airline, does "duty-free bag" refer specifically to a bag from a duty-free shop, or can that include a bag from an airport restaurant or newsstand?

11 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
22,390 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wow Air "duty free bag"

does "duty-free bag" refer specifically to a bag from a duty-free shop - Based on their website I would say yes, you cannot use it to bring a 3rd item.

"In addition to this you may board the aircraft with one duty-free shopping bag."

Canada
Level Contributor
9,258 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wow Air "duty free bag"

Haven't seen an airport restaurant that is duty free. The words duty free bag should be pretty clear to anyone,

Boston...
Level Contributor
620 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wow Air "duty free bag"

WOW lets you bring one personal item. That could be a small bag/knapsack/purse that fits into the seat in front of you. I suppose that could include a small bag of products from the duty free store. Anything that you want to put into the overhead bin has to be paid for.

https:/…

New York
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wow Air "duty free bag"

Thank you for the replies.

I know there are stores that specifically identify themselves as duty-free and ask for passports; I just don't know whether or not, technically, all shops past airport security are actually duty-free, or how narrowly Wow defines that term.

I've also sent this question to Wow. I'll report back if I get an answer.

My main motivation is entertainment; it just seems as if half the fun of taking Wow is figuring out how to comply with the personal-item-only limit.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
12,864 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wow Air "duty free bag"

I checked the website in Icelandic, to see if the wording was in any way more specific. But it says exactly the same, identical meaning.

After checking also the website of the duty free in the KEF airport, I'm quite convinced that the shopping bag they refer to is going to be strictly speaking from one of the duty free stores.

But you can of course put whatever you buy into your hand luggage, if it fits :)

New York
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wow Air "duty free bag"

A manager at a newsstand company that serves the Newark airport told me that, legally a "duty-free bag" has to be a bag sealed by a duty-free shop.

A regular shopping bag from a post-security airport shop is not, legally, the same as a bag from a duty-free shop.

I'd still love to hear directly from Wow, because it seems a strange that a big, heavy bag full of booze would officially count as a free extra personal item, whereas a small bag of snacks and newspapers from a regular airport shop would not. .

New York
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wow Air "duty free bag"

Yes-RVK: Thanks!

I guess the next step is to figure out how to craft a search to find out exactly people get their food aboard Wow Airline flights.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
12,864 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wow Air "duty free bag"

Oh, I've flown Wow Air a few times. Just get some lunch pack into your personal handbag. You'll need to get the liquids after control, logically. I often take an empty pastic bottle and fill it with drinking water inside the transit area.

8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Wow Air "duty free bag"

If I buy duty free in Frankfurt with a short layover in Iceland and then continue on to the US, will they confiscate my duty free items in Iceland? I'm flying Wow, of course.

St Louis, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wow Air "duty free bag"

I wanted to follow up on this question above. Anyone know the answer? Thanks

Reply to: Wow Air "duty free bag"
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted