We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA A380, WT Upper Deck, Exit Row

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
284 posts
38 reviews
BA A380, WT Upper Deck, Exit Row

I'm flying YVR to LHR this July and have been doing a lot of research on BA's A380. I usually book an exit row seat and will probably do so on this flight as well.

I've read a number of reviews for exit row 70 (seats A, B, J, K) on the upper deck. It looks like there's more than enough leg room, but the downside is that it's cold, there's no window, and the trays are in the armrest, which reduces seat width slightly. Does anyone know if there is access to the side storage boxes in row 70? It's hard to tell in the photos. Also, are the bathrooms in front of row 70 for WT passengers, or only WT+? I would hate to have people congregating for the bathroom in front of my seat.

If you had the choice, would you pick exit row 70 or 80 on BA's A380?

Thanks!

5 replies to this topic
edinburgh,scotland
Level Contributor
841 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: BA A380, WT Upper Deck, Exit Row

No side storage in exit rows, toilets are located at the rear of economy.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,775 posts
2. Re: BA A380, WT Upper Deck, Exit Row

"toilets are located at the rear of economy."

Not on the upper deck. There are two lavatories in front of 70 A/B and J/K that serve both WT and WT+. There are also two lavatories in front of row 80 (the other WT emergency exit row on the upper deck). The only difference is the row 70 lavs are outboard of the aisles, while the row 80 are inboard.

This BA seat map shows them accurately:

https:/…world-traveller-seatmap

#1 is correct however that there are no side storage bins for either exit row 70 or 80.

Edited: 22 January 2018, 15:45
London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
59,340 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: BA A380, WT Upper Deck, Exit Row

The washrooms, although behind the curtain separating WT and WT+, are used by pax in both cabins as there are no dedicated washrooms for WT+ pax. On the flights I've taken on the 388 pax will cluster near those shared washrooms while those at the rear of the WT cabin behind row 78 are vacant.

I don't know if row 70 is set far enough away from door 3 such that the bulge of the folded slide would have an impact on the space in front of the A and K seats, but you may want to check before booking that seat. The bulge of the slide at door 4 may also be an issue at row 80 A and K.

Having said that, I'd sit as far forward in the cabin as possible as I'd not want to be the last to disembark from row 83 although the dual airbridges make things as painless as possible. YMMV.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
284 posts
38 reviews
4. Re: BA A380, WT Upper Deck, Exit Row

Thanks everyone for your helpful responses.

TravellerPlus, if there’s a curtain separating WT+ and WT, it seems odd to me that WT passengers would go behind the curtain and into the WT+ cabin to use their washrooms. Is that even allowed?

I’m still torn between row 70 and row 80... Being one of the last passengers off the plane doesn’t worry me too much. When I land at LHR I have a little over 3 hours to catch my connecting flight so I’ll be in no hurry, haha. Likewise on the way home... I hate rushing off the plane only to wait for my luggage for 30 minutes.

I guess the other concern with having a seat so far back in the plane is that the overhead bins may be full by the time I board, right?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
59,340 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: BA A380, WT Upper Deck, Exit Row

Tamara, the curtain is at the rear of the WT+ cabin, behind row 68 and in front of row 70 in the WT cabin. There are no washrooms in the WT+ cabin so pax have to use the washrooms just forward of row 70 or head back to those behind row 78 when the more forward lavvies have a queue.

I don't find it an ideal situation, but it's their airline and their layout. At a guess the washroom near 56JK in the Club World cabin was introduced for numbers in that cabin as pax weren't going to want to throng near row 50 - but that's a guess.

'I hate rushing off the plane only to wait for my luggage for 30 minutes.' I think the ground staff take our checked bags for a ride across the Arthur Laing Bridge and back before heaving them on the belt (grrrr).

'I guess the other concern with having a seat so far back in the plane is that the overhead bins may be full by the time I board, right?' That will depend on whether or not BA adhere to their new boarding routine started just last week.

Boarding at gates D58 or D64 at YVR is usually a bit of a free for all, but at least there is space for everyone at the gates, and ground agents make an attempt to use the preferred boarding and general boarding queues.

The gates at LHR T3 are much smaller, and unless BA put up a fair few tensa barriers I'm not sure how they'll wrangle boarding in those tiny waiting areas. As well, I think BA are still putting the bright yellow tags on bags which should/must go under the seat in front https:/…258s.jpg but those seated in bulkhead rows won't receive them, and there really isn't anything to stop pax from removing them prior to boarding.

Here's more info about group boarding: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airw…

I don't know if the overhead lockers in WT fill up on BA84 or 85, but crew on the flights I've taken have been good about encouraging those with smaller bags or items to get them under the seats in front if at all possible, and will put smaller items in a closet or cupboard if they can.

Reply to: BA A380, WT Upper Deck, Exit Row
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted