We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smartfares biggest scam ever!!

1 post
Smartfares biggest scam ever!!

Hello All, so i booked a flight from Buffalo to Kigali operated by Qatar with this so called travel agency and before i made the payment i called their call center to make sure all details were clear .

On their website, they have the option to choose the currency, i was using a Canadian credit card so i chose CAD;payed my ticket which was 1637.05 CAD plus a 50CAD fee

Few days later, i check the credit card account and they billed me 2177.76 Cad

I called and emailed them, they assured me that once i have my bank statement, they will refund the differences without any problem

Waited few weeks for the statement and when i finally sent it to them

Here is the response

All of our fares are listed in US Dollars. As stated on our home page, all

> of our prices are quoted in US dollars. The final charges on your Canadian

> statement will be in US Dollars. Since the currency exchange rate is

> based upon your credit card company’s conversion rate tool at the time your

> charge is processed, your final amount may vary.

>

> It appears you have a Canadian issued credit card and the fare advised in

> US dollars, credit card company process the currency conversion.

>

> We apologize for the confusion.

$490.71 conversion rate difference on a $1600 ticket?!!

Still looking for some legal way to sue them...any advise will be welcome

4 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
327 reviews
1. Re: Smartfares biggest scam ever!!

My reading of this is that the final charge they make will be in US$ - but that you can/did pay in Canadian - but also that they then are free to pretty much charge whatever rate they want to convert Canadian dollars into the required US $ - likely, they have T&Cs that allow this. A bank conversion rate would not hike so much, maybe they have rates on top?

Edited: 20 January 2018, 10:05
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
17,535 posts
106 reviews
2. Re: Smartfares biggest scam ever!!

Welcome to TA upon joining today, and congratulations upon your forum debut to tell us your story.... !

“ Some legal way to sue them”, is, oddly enough, to sue them, or, if you prefer, to issue legal proceedings in a Court Of Law in the appropriate jurisdiction.

Good luck....

Mondial

3. Re: Smartfares biggest scam ever!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 January 2018, 10:54
Edited: 20 January 2018, 10:54

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,995 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: Smartfares biggest scam ever!!

They used dynamic currency conversion to charge you in CAD, but to the US price of the ticket. Google dynamic currency conversion to see why it is always a bad idea to do that.

Bottom line..if their website Says all prices in us dollars, that’s what you agreed to. You have no chance of suing them and winning.

Next time book with airline direct or a reputable travel agency.

Ps just double checked their website on a dummy booking. They usE language like this that you agreed to

clicking the book button.

I understand that this fare is shown in CAD, but will be charged in USD in the amount of USD $935.04. If my credit card is not in this currency my purchase may be subject to additional fees from my credit card issuing bank. *By clicking BOOK I agree to the total trip cost of USD $935.04 and the Terms and Conditions.

Edited: 20 January 2018, 11:05
Reply to: Smartfares biggest scam ever!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted