We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Emirates Airlines now charges for economy seat assisgnments

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Emirates Airlines now charges for economy seat assisgnments

If I do not pay for pre-seat selection on Emirates Airline, what are my chances of getting good seats if we wait for free seat assignments 48 hours prior to departure? Are most passengers pre-paying for seat assignments? Will all of the good seats be taken by then?

26 replies to this topic
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
1,046 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Emirates Airlines now charges for economy seat assisgnments

I try my best to never pay for a seat assignment on any airline.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
16,828 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Emirates Airlines now charges for economy seat assisgnments

This has been in place for some time to those choosing the cheapest non-flex fares.

and

"Will all of the good seats be taken by then?"

Yes-certainly on the most popular routes/timings

SS

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,280 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Emirates Airlines now charges for economy seat assisgnments

What do you consider a "good" seat? If you are after a bulkhead seat there aren't that many available, the rest are all just standard.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Emirates Airlines now charges for economy seat assisgnments

What I meant by "good seat" was to be able to select where you want to sit (aisle or window versus a middle seat) and be able to sit with your travel partner. It sounds to me that options would be limited by waiting until the seat assignments are free.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,280 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Emirates Airlines now charges for economy seat assisgnments

There is very little chance of not being sat together on Emirates, almost unheard of with them. We have only flown Emirates economy once, we had seats booked months out as we have status with Qantas and were moved at the last minute because someone with Emirates status wanted them ... we were still sat together, I wouldn't be worried about that happening.

HGL
Almeria Spain
Level Contributor
595 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Emirates Airlines now charges for economy seat assisgnments

To coin a phrase "Do you feel lucky?". If you have a long flight, and want to sit in a particular seat, the only way to be sure of getting it is to pay. For a long flight, I will pay, to make sure I get the seat I want. For a short flight, I'll probably chance it, but check in online at the earliest opportunity.

Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
10,655 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Emirates Airlines now charges for economy seat assisgnments

Go into 'manage my booking' regularly and see what is available, if the seating for two together start to fill up make a choice to pay or wait

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
10,420 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Emirates Airlines now charges for economy seat assisgnments

<<what are my chances of getting good seats if we wait for free seat assignments 48 hours prior to departure>>

Firstly it depends on your definition of good seats.

You most likely will be able to sit together. But if you wish some specific seats, then pay and reserve them.

Only the lowest ticket categories have no free seat selection. Depending on your frequent flyer status, you have even free seat selection on the lowest category (but only for standard seats). Special seats cost in any case.

If you want to sit in a 'special' seat, pay and reserve in advance.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
12,222 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Emirates Airlines now charges for economy seat assisgnments

Seat selection fees were introduced in October 2016

Emirates seem to automatically allocate random seats to those who haven't paid for seat reservation, and these seats also don't appear to be available for free selection when the 48hr online check-in opens

I would keep an eye on your flights seat map to see how many seats are being reserved

Edited: 19 January 2018, 11:12
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Emirates Airlines now charges for economy seat assisgnments

So when the airline state that seat selection is available for free when checking in on-line that’s not true because they have already allocated you your seats? My flight is in 6 days time and half of the seats on the A380 are still available for selection, it’s inconceivable that passengers are all of a sudden going to pay extra to select their seats between now and on line check in opening..So basically if you don’t pay for seat selection you don’t get a choice at check in so why do they say you do ?

Edited: 19 January 2018, 18:32
Reply to: Emirates Airlines now charges for economy seat assisgnments
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;