We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Qatar or Malaysia Business class to Sydney

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Qatar or Malaysia Business class to Sydney

Hi, me and my partner are looking to go London to Sydney business class in December but we are undecided on who to go with - the mid price airlines choice is Malaysia airlines or Qatar airways. Please can anyone recommend. We would like to select our seats so we are guaranteed to sit together in a two. Malaysia airlines are pick your seats at time of booking for free and Qatar airways is pay to select your seat after you have paid for the booking. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

21 replies to this topic
uk
Level Contributor
445 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Qatar or Malaysia Business class to Sydney

I am pretty sure that you do not have to pay for advanced seat selection in business class with Qatar unless things have changed in the last couple of months. I have flown with Qatar from London to Sydney and the flight and aircraft are very good, service and food also good . Unfortunately I had an eighteen hour delay on the return trip and that is where things were not so good with total lack of organisation and communication but maybe I was just unlucky - their hard product is indeed excellent.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
13,071 posts
117 reviews
2. Re: Qatar or Malaysia Business class to Sydney

You will have no problem sitting together ... the window seats are all singles and the doubles are in the centre ... they will sit you there.

Qatar is a much better product than Malaysia.

Culburra Beach...
Level Contributor
3,491 posts
198 reviews
3. Re: Qatar or Malaysia Business class to Sydney

Qatar are by far the better airline product.

I like Malaysia, but no for long-haul comfort

Byron Shire...
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
63 reviews
4. Re: Qatar or Malaysia Business class to Sydney

I too was unaware that Qatar had started charging for seat selection in premium cabins. I thought BA was the only airline that was that punitive with business class passengers.

As stated, sitting right next to each on Qatar might not be a possibility. Certainly not if your flights are A380 operated. If you find yourself on the 777, it's still a traditional 2x2x2 layout and very spacious. Or if you're incredibly fortunate, on their new private suite business product.

Malysian's A380s also have 2x2x2 in business but the overall product refinement isn't as good as Qatar's. The A330s between KL and Sydney aren't bad and have some almost adjacent seats.

If it was me I'd pick Qatar for an overall more premium feeling experience and much better lounge option during the transit stop.

Also if you can spare even just half a day in transit, the Museum of Islamic Art in Doha is spectacular!

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
174 reviews
5. Re: Qatar or Malaysia Business class to Sydney

A while since I have flown Qatar business but it was excellent, Malaysian ok and used more recently, so I would defiantly go with Qatar.

southern england
Level Contributor
559 posts
87 reviews
6. Re: Qatar or Malaysia Business class to Sydney

Becky....at the moment Singapore airlines are the cheapest on that route , have a look at their website , before the fares go back up again.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,821 posts
7. Re: Qatar or Malaysia Business class to Sydney

I would say Qatar and then Malaysia from just those choices.

I agree well worth looking at Singapore Airlines for any deals

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
5,394 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Qatar or Malaysia Business class to Sydney

Have a look at Korean via ICN for a left field choice. Decent business class product, ICN one of the very best airports to transfer and often keen pricing.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,964 posts
24 reviews
9. Re: Qatar or Malaysia Business class to Sydney

Air India are under £2000.

But I know nothing about the product.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,826 posts
18 reviews
10. Re: Qatar or Malaysia Business class to Sydney

If SIA compete I would choose them myself - with Changi as the transfer point even a longish gap between flights is a comparative joy, Qatar run a very very close second with the business lounge at Doha being stunning and Malaysia come in third for me.

Reply to: Qatar or Malaysia Business class to Sydney
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted