We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying from the US to Malaysis in April - Stopover Ideas?

North Carolina
2 posts
Flying from the US to Malaysis in April - Stopover Ideas?

Hi,

We will be flying from the US to Malaysia(Langkawi) in April, and are looking to add on three days to our trip with a stopover. Looking at the major airlines, it seems that Hong Kong or Tokyo would be the most likely stopover destination that we'd enjoy. My wife went to Thailand last year, so we'll likely avoid there this trip.

Are there other non US places or ideas that you would recommend for us? I don't think the airline will matter -- we have flexibility there. Open to just about all ideas.. south pacific, east asia, middle east, etc..no restrictions. Just need a good airline/flight that's close to being en route.

Thanks!

9 replies to this topic
Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
94 reviews
1. Re: Flying from the US to Malaysis in April - Stopover Ideas?

Either works. Just pick the better flight times/deal and whichever city appeals more... personally I prefer Tokyo to Hong Kong, but nothing wrong with the latter and it's probably a little shorter if you're headed to Langkawi.

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
12,942 posts
209 reviews
2. Re: Flying from the US to Malaysis in April - Stopover Ideas?

The problem with Langkawi is you’re likely to have to change planes again somewhere to get to the island. There are no direct flights from Hong Kong or Tokyo there. However if you can fly to Singapore for your stop over then it’s just a short flight up to Langkawi.

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,896 posts
42 reviews
3. Re: Flying from the US to Malaysis in April - Stopover Ideas?

Hong Kong is my preference pending your flight options. SIN is the most sensible, along w/BKK. When we fly from US, we start in either DTW, ATL or SEA. We almost always stop ing BKK for a few days to get acclimated. There is so much to see (side trip to River Kwai is worthwhile).

London
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
63 reviews
4. Re: Flying from the US to Malaysis in April - Stopover Ideas?

I would consider Singapore, a great and good contrast to Bangkok and easy trip with Air Asia direct to Langkawi. Lots of flights to Singapore to.

Edited: 18 December 2017, 03:45
Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
279 reviews
5. Re: Flying from the US to Malaysis in April - Stopover Ideas?

Hong Kong using Cathay Pacific from KL.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
23,839 posts
47 reviews
6. Re: Flying from the US to Malaysis in April - Stopover Ideas?

Taiwan is another possibility. Does Eva make this flight?

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
94 reviews
7. Re: Flying from the US to Malaysis in April - Stopover Ideas?

Where in the USA are you flying from?? Must have been one heck of a mess with the power outage at the world's busiest airport today, hopefully you'll have better luck if you have to transit Atlanta. Been there done that lol.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,875 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Flying from the US to Malaysis in April - Stopover Ideas?

"Where in the USA are you flying from?? "

=========

The OP's location is North Carolina. And being east cost you can just as easily travel via Europe.

From CLT you have American and can book British Airways code share to London and BA to anywhere you fancy. There's also Lufthansa via Munich to quite a few places, and LH has a joint venture with Singapore Airlines.

From RDU you have the same AA/BA option via LHR as well as Delta (code share with Air France) via CDG.

There's a very limited number of non stop options to Langkawi. Singapore would be the obvious choice, however if you feel like spending a few days in Guangdong province (China) there are non stops from both Guangzhou (China Southern, who code share with AF making that RDU-CDG option attractive) and Shenzhen (AirAsia). You could take advantage of the 72 hour visa free transit for Guangdong (assuming you're US citizens or citizens of one of the eligible countries).

Edited: 18 December 2017, 19:09
London
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
63 reviews
9. Re: Flying from the US to Malaysis in April - Stopover Ideas?

Langkawi has a very small airport servicing a very small (but delightful) island. If you are planning a holiday on the island and a City break then it would seem wise (unless you enjoy flying holidays) to choose a city that offers direct flights to and from Langkawi. This restricts you to Guangzhou, Shenzhen or Singapore plus a number of Malaysian cities including KL, JB and Penang. Penang is also delightfully but two Malaysian Islands might be short on variety. Singapore is still my choice as it has a brilliant airport with lots of connections and the City is a great place for a few days (or weeks!).

Just back from holidaying in Langkawi, HK and Singapore. It was wonderful but connecting from Langkawi to HK was an 8+ hour trip with a 3 hour layover in KL and that was the shortest I could find!

Reply to: Flying from the US to Malaysis in April - Stopover Ideas?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted