We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Checked-in Baggage for International Transfer at Newark EWR

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
918 posts
123 reviews
Checked-in Baggage for International Transfer at Newark EWR

I plan to arrive on an international flight to Newark and will have 8-9 hours in between another international flight on the same airline departing from Newark Airport.

If I checked-through my bag at the original embarkation point for my first flight, can I check in an additional luggage at Newark later for my second flight? That is, I will pick up my luggage at Newark after my first flight, then hand to the transfer desk as a check-through luggage, then go out the airport, and then come back with another bag and check-in for my second flight. This means I will collect two bags at the final destination.

Would the airline allow it?

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Checked-in Baggage for International Transfer at Newark EWR

I don't see why they wouldn't as long as you pay the bag fee - and allow extra time to explain to the agent what you're doing...

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9,577 posts
52 reviews
2. Re: Checked-in Baggage for International Transfer at Newark EWR

I'll be very curious to hear opinions and experience from others but I would be really surprised if a passenger can check (additional) luggage in at a flight transit/transfer airport.

Edited: 01 December 2017, 09:54
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
18,009 posts
118 reviews
3. Re: Checked-in Baggage for International Transfer at Newark EWR

In the USA, to make an international-international transfer you have to leave the secured area and enter the country anyway so why would it be surprising to let the customer go to the check in desk and check an additional bag at that point?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
41,348 posts
40 reviews
4. Re: Checked-in Baggage for International Transfer at Newark EWR

I don't see a problem. It is two international flights. You, as already said are required to reclaim your suitcase to go through customs. As long as the airline is allowing you a second bag. AND thinking out loud, would it be easier if you just asked for your first flight to be ticketed ONLY to EWR and then for you to do a 100% full checkin, with 2 bags at EWR?

What I am concerned about is security's reaction to your acquiring a second piece of luggage during a layover. You know the part about--"who packed your luggage" --DUH-- I doubt you packed the second bag!

Europe
Level Contributor
430 posts
318 reviews
5. Re: Checked-in Baggage for International Transfer at Newark EWR

No problem at all, I have done this half a dozen times at different airports.

I have no idea why some posts above refer to "security" - completely irrelevant, you just interact with the check-in agent.

Fsr
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
83 reviews
6. Re: Checked-in Baggage for International Transfer at Newark EWR

I don’t think it should be an issue either. I would not do two separate tickets however. Much better to have one ticket and a protected connection

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
41,348 posts
40 reviews
7. Re: Checked-in Baggage for International Transfer at Newark EWR

Francis, I said check in in 2 halves. I did not say on 2 tickets.

And to the person( I forget who) who didn't understand why someone mentioned security. After going through immigration,baggage claim and customs you are outside the secure area and need to go through TSA security. You may also be questioned when you check that second bag.( by the check in agent)

Edited: 01 December 2017, 14:16
8. Re: Checked-in Baggage for International Transfer at Newark EWR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2018, 17:15